-04-

death of otis

death of otis

BY THE TIME DINNER WAS MADE, SHANE HAD RETURNED WITHOUT OTIS, AND SHE HAD MET GLENN AND T-DOG FROM RICK'S GROUP. The death of Otis did not faze her as much as it should have. She was still traumatized from how Shawn died, and she believed she would have to get used to the people she loved going away forever. It was a hard truth, and she had to accept it.

Glenn and T-Dog were stuffing their faces violently with the food she and Beth made while Beth, Jimmy, and Maggie ate more politely next to them. Patricia did not come downstairs after she was told of Otis's death, which Scarlett had understood. She was glad Hershel waited until after they operated on Carl for the retelling of Otis's death.

Maggie chuckled as she watched Scarlett balance four plates, two on each arm. Scarlett rose her brows playfully, doing a little dance with the plates to try and make the kids laugh. Maggie's smile fell as she said, "That for our guests upstairs? Daddy, too?" Scarlett nodded. "Good. Don't trip, Clutz." Scarlett stuck her tongue out before grinning and making her way upstairs.

She made it up the steps, her arms beginning to burn from the heat of the meals. She kicked Carl's door as quietly as she could, seeing Shane, Lori, and Rick watch Hershel finish up by wrapping a bandage on the little boy's stomach. She had given one more thing of blood about an hour ago, and she could feel it hitting her as she carried so much weight up the stairs. Feeling woozy, she whistled softly to gain the attention of the room.

Extending her arm, she smiled softly at Shane as he grabbed the plate carefully without touching her. He handed one to Rick and the other to Lori before grabbing the other two and giving one to Hershel. She watched the three guests not waste a second before eating as quickly as they could.

"Must've been hard out there," Hershel commented. "Scar, here, cooks well, yeah? If you could even taste it between bites."

Lori smiled as Scarlett snorted a laugh. "Sorry, Hershel. Just hungry after all that worrying." She looked at Scarlett. "It's really good, honey."

Scarlett smiled in thanks, taking Rick and Shane's empty plates already. When she went to grab Rick's, she stared into his Georgian blues and felt her smile widen. He was an attractive bloke, and she knew it was just a silly crush, but she could not help it. He was a sweetheart; however, she needed to be wary. Every man could be like her Daddy.

Her hand brushed against Rick's as the plate swapped hands and he flinched instead of her. He immediately apologized. She shook her head, letting him know it was okay with her smile. She had hardly felt it as she stared into his eyes.

Blushing and looking away, she rushed from the room—glad Lori was too preoccupied with Carl to notice. Shane, however, smirked as she walked by, seeing it all.

The night was getting older by the moment, so Scarlett gestured for Maggie to let Glenn and T-Dog use the showers before setting up their camp. Maggie agreed, helping them out with clothes since theirs were all dirty.

"Scarlett," Glenn called. Scarlett turned from where she was getting some of Shawn's old clothes. "You've been very kind to us. M-More kind than any of the others. We're grateful." He blushed slightly.

She nodded and handed him underwear and something to sleep in. She gave T-Dog some things she thought would fit him before finding things for Rick, Shane, and Lori. Glenn and T were quick with their showers, and they went out to set up a camp for the night after Maggie checked T-Dog's arm again. He was healing much faster now that he was taken care of.

Scarlett sighed, not wanting them to sleep outside, but she already knew Hershel was against them staying. He was against it since Shane came back without Otis. She agreed that it was sad, but shit happens. Carl was going to be okay, and they were grateful for that. He needed to live.

Stepping into the room again, she put a pointer finger on Shane's shoulder to get his attention. She tapped very quickly, hardly even touching him. Lori was falling asleep on Rick's shoulder and Shane was watching with a longing look in his eye. He spun around with a small curse, not expecting her to be there. She held out Otis's old clothes and pointed to the bathroom next door.

"Thank you," Shane muttered, giving Lori one last glance before leaving the room.

Hershel walked through the hallway with a sigh, calling Scarlett's name. She stepped out of the room and gave him a questioning look.

"I don't trust them. Not yet," Hershel growled quietly. "I need you to stay up and watch them until that Shane is out of my house. Rick and Lori can stay for their boy, but everyone else is out until the morning. I need to sleep easy."

Scarlett sighed and nodded.

"Thank you," he said before kissing her forehead.

She walked back into the room, gaining Rick's attention.

Scarlett smirked as Lori fell a bit off of his shoulder in her sleep. Rick chuckled, pushing Lori slightly to wake up. Scarlett gave Lori something of hers to sleep in and pointed to the bathroom as Shane stepped out.

Shane looked at Rick. Rick had heard Hershel despite his low tone. He had to follow the man's rules on his property. "Hey, Shane, man. You gon' help them set up camp? T can hardly help Glenn."

Shane nodded, running a hand over his now bald head. Scarlett pouted slightly, wishing he left his hair alone.

Shane left soon after, and Beth passed him on his way out. She gave him a cookie that was in her hands. Shane took it with a small chuckle leaving his lips.

Scarlett saw Jimmy kiss Beth, and she made a clicking noise with her mouth. Beth rolled her eyes. "I know. Time for bed. Maggie's talking to Glenn outside, better go click at her." Scarlett snorted at her attitude as the teens parted ways. She turned back to see Rick smiling at her.

Scarlett held out his clothes that she picked out. On top was some comics from Shawn and a sweatshirt that Carl could wear.

"Thank you," Rick said. "I feel like I'm always sayin' it to ya."

She shrugged, leaning over to feel Carl's head. At the movement, Carl's eyes fluttered a bit.

He smiled lazily, still groggy. "Hey, Scar."

She smiled. Rick backed away to give them some privacy, to make her think he left. Scarlett watched him leave the room, thinking he went to shower, so she whispered, "How you feelin' bud?"

"Bad," Carl groaned. "I'm cold."

Scarlett grabbed another blanket, tucking him in. He sighed in relief.

"Can ya sing to me, Scarlett?"

"I don' think I even remember how," she murmured, smiling when he grabbed her hand shakily.

"Please," he wheezed out.

So, she sang an old lullaby, grinning when his grip loosened and his breaths came out even. He fell asleep easily.

Rick was glad this guardian angel found his family.