Chapter 33: Misguided Jealousy

"—I spoke with Purah about the Shrine of Resurrection we discovered earlier. As we speculated, this particular shrine is, in fact, a medical facility with the power to heal. It also has a long-term stasis function that can be activated and maintained until healing is complete. In the war against the Calamity ten thousand years ago, were the injuries so great as to necessitate such a facility?

"If so, I will remain uneasy until we have made all adjustments necessary to restore it to fill the working order. I can only pray that even if Calamity Ganon returns, our battle will not require the Shrine of Ressurection's power—"

A sudden knock caused the princess's hand to jolt. Pausing her quill, she twisted in her chair to see her appointed knight standing in the doorway. He looked just as he did every day, wearing the blue tunic she had created for him, with most of his hair tied back into a ponytail, and of course, the legendary purple-winged sword that rested on his backside. At one time, the sight of his sword caused her heart to stop beating as guilt and inadequacy consumed her. It was as if she were looking at the embodiment of her continuous failures to fulfill her task, while the sword had made it easy for her owner to fulfill his. Now though, all she could manage to look at was his serene blue eyes and the small smile he gave her every time he came to greet her. It was a smile she could now easily return.

"Hey there," Link said casually, leaning his shoulder against the stone brick frame of the entrance to her study. "Already studying?"

"Just filling in my journal with thoughts regarding our trip to the shrine we discovered by the Temple of Time," the princess said cheerfully as she laid down her quill, fully relaxed once she realized who it was paying her a visit. "May I ask what I owe the pleasure, Sir Knight? It's quite surprising to see you barging into my room so early."

"Barging? That's a pretty strong word," Link asked, crossing his arms. "I didn't barge in, I'll have you know. The guards let me in."

"Under what authority?" the princess asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Mine, obviously," Link said, puffing out his chest slightly behind his crossed arms. "Being your appointed knight comes with a few perks beyond that of simply being Second-in-Command of the Royal Guard. I thought someone as smart as you would be able to put that together."

"Why, I never!" Zelda said, placing a hand on her chest. "You dare use such wording with me, your princess? I could have you thrown in the dungeons you know."

"Sure, go right ahead," Link said, shrugging as he straightened himself. "Good luck finding another knight who can use this sword though."

"I'm sure we'll manage," Zelda retorted, crossing her legs as she stared down her knight. "I doubt someone as reckless as you would be able to do much in a war anyhow."

"Now you have me convinced," Link said, closing his eyes and nodding. "You really can't be the princess if you're still doubting my skill with a sword."

"And if I'm not the princess, then who might I be?" the princess asked curiously.

"If I had to take a guess... Just Zelda," he answered. Unable to hold it in any longer, Princess Zelda burst into laughter.

"Link! You're such a fool," she said through her giggles. "Last time I checked, the princess of Hyrule was still Zelda."

"To me, the princess of Hyrule and Zelda are two different people," he replied gently, dropping the sarcastic tone he had been using. "To be completely honest, I think I prefer Zelda."

"I–I..." Zelda stammered.

She felt her cheeks burn at these words. It was often now she found herself blushing at much of what he said, and if she were completely honest with herself, it was more than just his words that made her react as such. When he was close, sometimes her heart would race for no reason at all, and when he was absent, she would long for his presence. Recently, she even caught herself searching him out, wishing to tell him something she discovered or simply wanting to be by his side. Whether he was her knight appointed by her father, or the wielder of the sword that sealed the darkness, it didn't matter. All she saw was Link, and she wanted to be around him, precisely because he viewed her as the same. It wasn't as though she didn't know what these reactions were though.