CHAPTER 21

Valerie's POV

That idiot is with Brenda.

He lied to me. He told me they weren't dating. He told me he had stopped talking to her yet I just saw them together in a club, holding hands.

What am I supposed to think? Am I supposed to think that they bumped into each other in the club coincidentally?

I guess I am at fault here.

Brenda, Fred, and I go to different clubs every week to have fun, and Cart's Club is one such club. I never gave it any thought that we would meet there. We only went to Cart's Club once. We had a regular club downtown and we frequent there more, I guess that is why I never thought I was going to run into them there.

I was only making an effort to cheer Ryan up and make him stop brooding over his mother's sickness.

I even thought he was going to act lovey-dovey with me when I called out their names but he didn't, yet I am always making an effort to make us look real in front of everyone.

He is such an asshole. We shouldn't have gone to the party in the first place. He didn't even appreciate my effort.

The moment we get out of the car and he enters the mansion gate, it begins to rain and I run inside to take cover with Ryan running behind me.

I throw the front door open breathless and fuming in anger.

I see Ryan peeking at me, his face wet from the sudden rain. He is holding his suit and he doesn't look angry like he was before Fred and Brenda showed up.

He has been watching me since we left the club and the ride home was in total silence.

I was lost in thoughts. 

I always succeed to get Fred off my mind but anytime I see him or anything that brings any memory of him, it takes a while for it to go away again.

Lowering my head down, I begin to amble towards the staircase, suddenly feeling cold.

I won't be able to sleep in my room tonight also because the rain might come with thunder. I don't think there is any need for me to leave Ryan's room since we are a couple.

We aren't sharing the same bed anyway.

"Are you ok?" His voice pulls me out of my reverie the moment I turn the doorknob to enter the room.

He has creases of worry on his expression and it almost made me laugh. What is he thinking? Is he thinking that I might begin to cry after seeing my ex-boyfriend with my ex-best friend?

Nah!

I have gone past that stage.

I am just sad. Sad for being stupid. Sad for feeling this way. Sad for the way my heart fluttered when I saw Fred. Sad for falling too deep in love with him when I shouldn't have. Sad for letting him cheat on me for too long.