Chapter Eighteen

Matteo

I don't stop holding my son. I hold him tightly against my chest as we make it through the underground tunnels.

I have no idea where the hell Scarlett is taking me, but I'm going to have to trust her, as this is the only safe way to get my son out of here.

"How long until we're out of here? I need to get to my brother, and we're going to have to think of a plan before we start another war. Soon as we're out of here, I want answers; you have until then to start talking. Do you understand?" 

Her head is down. She doesn't even look back at me as I talk; not like that would surprise me. I've killed the man she loved—the man who kept her locked up—the one who promised her everything,  and now I'm taking away the only other thing in her life that she cares about. It's a shame that it turned out this way for her because I know this is going to kill Harper a million times over.

"We're here." She mumbles under her breath. It's a locked fucking door. Is she for fucking real? I'm trying really hard right now not to blow her brains out.

"Where the hell is the key?" My son starts moving around in my arms. It's then I get a good look at him. I see he's a perfect mix of Harper and me, and my heart feels so much fuller looking at him.

"I don't know. George had it with him all the time." She brought us all the way down here for no reason at all. I'm going to kill her. I better have some signal. I carefully lift my son on my shoulder so I can grab my phone. I don't even know his name. How fucked up is that?

No fucking signal. Where going to have to go back the way we came and pray that we are not outnumbered. I won't put my son at risk. 

"Get moving now. I haven't got all night."
I take a steady breath before I ask her the next question.

"What is my son's name?" I need to know. It's eating me up, not knowing.

"Gabriel. George picked it said it was a strong male name." I stop abruptly; none of this makes sense. How did they come to get him? He was meant to be dead.

"How did you come to get him? You might as well tell me now before I torture it out of you; it's your choice."

She takes a slow breath before she lets a little whimper out, "I watched Harper give birth on the floor. I saw it all happen with my own two eyes. The baby wasn't dead, but Adriana put it in a box and carried it outside. She was going to bury it alive she ended up getting a phone call from Holly, so she made one of the guards do it, and I couldn't let that happen. When she walked away, I made sure the guard saw me. I told him to meet me in the bathroom because I was feeling horny, only I didn't show up. He didn't know who I was. They were that many people that worked here. He wouldn't have second-guessed it. Only the doctor found out. He at least owed me this after he watched me bring Harper into the world and then watched her get ripped away from me. Anyway, he followed me; he helped me keep the baby alive and got me everything that the baby would need to keep it alive. It was touch and go, but with his help, he got Gabriel to the safe point, but I never saw him again, and that was because Adriana killed him; George tried to take Gabriel away from me, but I wouldn't let him. He's my son. I raised him. He's mine; that's all I'm ready to tell you for now until I know you won't kill me."

My mouth opens and shuts. If it weren't for her, my son would be dead. I know I'll always be thankful to her for that, but it doesnt make a difference that she could have told Harper that she was alive. She could have stopped the poisoning because I bet my life on it, she knew.

We get to the door, and I know I need to hand Gabriel over to Scarlett so that I can check the surroundings out, but the thought of passing him to her is making me feel physically sick.

I press my head to the door, but I don't hear anything. "I'm going to hand Gabriel over to you, but I swear to god, if you do anything to harm my child, I'll kill you. Are you listening?" 

"I would never hurt my son." This woman needs a reality check. With clenched teeth, I hand Gabriel over before I open the door. "Stay here, and don't say a word."

I close the door and dial Enoz; luckily, he picks up on the first ring. "Where the fuck are you! I've been trying to call you for the last thirty minutes. I caught Anna trying to get Holly and Adriana out; I've killed the bitch and six others who were plotting against us. I've sent Gino and Sergio to the Raven house seeing as that is the location where Leo told her to meet him; they've found Leo and George's bodies, but you're nowhere to be seen. So where the fuck are you."

Thank fuck. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I rush to open the door to where I left Scarlett; luckily, she's still there. "Enzo, you need to get over here now; we have a lot to talk about. I also need Gino to look into the best children's doctor." I take my son from her arms, his blue eyes open as he stares at me. It's then I notice his hands are both pointing inwards. I look at Scarlett and see she won't meet my gaze.

"Matteo, are you fucking listening. What the hell are you talking about?" I can't help but smile down at him. No matter what is wrong with him, he is a true Marchetti, and we are fighters, and this is what this little boy is.

"We found him. He's... holy fucking shit Enzo you need to get here now."  Gino says in his earpiece.

Enzo hangs the phone up, knowing he's not getting anything from me. "I have a son, Harper, and I have a son. And when I get my hands on Adriana, I'm going to kill that cunt.

Both Gino and Sergio look gone out at me, "Is he ok? Does he need a doctor?" Sergio walks towards us both and sucks in a breath at the sight of my son.

"What? What is it?" Why is he looking at my son like that?

"I've seen this before; he's got club hands and feet. It's from the mother using drugs when being pregnant." His eyes widen, and I know he thinks I'm about to lose my shit at him, but I'm not. It's about time I sit down and tell my men everything.