34: Vincisgrassi

Chapter 34: Vincisgrassi

"Do you wanna stack lego with me?" Claire asked.

"Yes sure," I said while staring out of the window distractedly. I promised I wouldn't let the paranoia get in my way. Yet today was one of the most important days for me and I just ran away from my problems again. I was excited to start this marketing project for La Casa and maybe discover my potential. But I had a major panic attack after going through Vincent's search history hence I am at Blair's house away from Vincent to calm myself down.

Claire dragged her whole box of lego to the living room where I was sitting. "Let's play!"

Before Claire could start taking the legos out of the box Blair walked into the room. "Claire finish your breakfast then play with Nora. In the meantime, I will talk to her."

Claire begrudgingly left her legos and went to have breakfast. Blair offered me some pancakes but I denied them despite not eating anything till now. I wasn't hungry. My stomach wasn't doing well since I was so restless. Blair was expecting the baby to come any day now. After her run to the hospital on the day of her baby shower, the doctor advised her to be a little careful. So she has been mostly staying home and Keith, her husband has been mostly running errands around the house.

"Are you okay Nora? I can tell something is troubling you," she said, worry etched on her face.

"I don't know what I am doing Blair. I think- I think I like Vincent. But my past experience has made it difficult to trust men or anyone for that matter. "

"Well not everyone is the same. People are different. We just need to hold someone's hand and depend on them to not fail us."

"He knew something and then I found out about it. I don't know-." I sighed in frustration. I wish I could share this with people around me without always walking on eggshells.

"Well did you talk to him about it? I am sure he has some kind of explanation for it. I am not trying to take his side but there must be a reason for him to hide it from you."

"You're right. I should go talk to him instead of jumping to several conclusions." I dreaded doing that as that would mean talking about my past life and I despised talking about it.

"I know him for a long time Nora. You're a lucky girl. He is a good man. He will keep you happy. And you're perfect for him," Blair said with a reassuring smile.

"I know he is great. He is a good person."

"A great boss too. That boy gave me a three-month maternity leave. No one in America does that!"

I laughed. "A little too nice. No wonder his ex stole all his money and fled."

"Oh, Sarah? That bitch. I never really liked her. We should have warned Vincent about her the moment we saw her horrible fashion sense," she scoffed.

I laughed.

....

"Nora where were you?" John asked as I rushed to get inside the kitchen. I decided to show up at the restaurant after I left Blair's house. Talking to her made me feel a bit better. Also, I couldn't sacrifice discovering my passion for some inconvenience. I have to keep my chin up and get working.

The next few hours went in a rush. I apologized to the lighting cameraman whom we hired to supervise the lighting for our photos and videos for being so late. They were very understanding about it. John took the photos while Vincent and I gave them directions on how to place everything. I avoided Vincent the whole time since I wasn't ready to face him yet. Also, avoiding him keeps my anxiety at bay as I am not reminded of the incident.