Chapter 9 - and you are

Dedicated to @Itisgettinghotinhere ❤️

Kara

He took my breath away.

He always did. So, I took another, hoping it would release the overwhelming emotions trapped in my throat. The happy memories I had with him that had now turned into a kind of torture, because they serve as a reminder of how much of myself I had given him. And that he'd thrown away.

It was pride on my part, no doubt. And if that was all that was left, I'd take it. Because everything else he had already taken.

And I was bitter.

Veronica and I took our seats at the bleachers. The wood bench felt hard and unforgiving on my ass, the lights too bright, the piercing sound of the whistle as the coach called for timeout stabbed my ears. And the scent of it all—sweat, wax they used on the floor, fried foods from the spectators made me feel a little lightheaded. Then I looked up.

Cameron was standing with the other exhausted players. He was bent forward, palms on knees, head down, breathing hard. He raised his head. His black hair was damp from sweat and drops of it dripped from his sharp jaw down to his neck. With an impatient move, he wiped his forehead with his arm.

He'd always played like it was his last day on Earth. I used to think it was hot. The coach was talking to them, but Cameron didn't appear to be listening.

When he unfolded his body and stood straight, he towered over most of the players. His shoulders were wide and intimidating, his athletic form long and lean and muscular in his red basketball jersey. Then he pulled the collar of his wet jersey up and off.

I looked away.

And noticed Lockhart making his way toward us with a big smile on his mouth. I noticed that his gorgeous green eyes never wavered from Veronica's. And when I turned to look at her, she was also smiling.

The only time I'd seen her smile like that was when she got her paycheque.

"Hey, Red. You're here," Caleb said, sitting beside her and playfully pulling a lock of her hair. He stared at her for a moment, as though she was Christmas morning, before glancing at me.

It was obvious they were intensely drawn to each other. I don't think Veronica realized how much.

Caleb's eyes darted back to the court where Cameron was, then he looked at me meaningfully. I gave a subtle shake of my head, silently telling him that I didn't want to talk about it. He understood.

"Hey, Kar. Nice to see you again."

It had always been easy with Caleb. I felt a little sorry that I had cut him off since my breakup with his best friend. We chatted a little, and I tried to concentrate on the conversation, but it felt like I was trying to solve a puzzle in the middle of a burning building. Later, when I replayed everything in my mind, I would barely remember what I said.

My eyes involuntarily went to the court. Some of the players were sitting on the benches, but instead of sitting with them, Cameron was leaning against the railing, drinking from a water bottle.

Before I would've been there beside him, handing him a towel or a water bottle, cheering for him. He'd give me a secret smile, whispering in my ear how eager he was to get me home.

It made me miserable thinking about it. Because every memory of us was now tainted with the heartbreak he'd given me.

He raked his fingers in his hair, and suddenly the band holding it together came off, and his hair became unbound. It was so dark it seemed to absorb all the light around it. I knew its texture, how silky and soft it felt on my fingers. It fell on his shoulders now, framing his sinfully beautiful face and softening the sharpness of his eyes.