Ch 7

Riggs lead you through a maze of hallways and again you wondered the size of this place. It was way too big to be just any regular building.

The silence was killing you. He was the one who wanted to talk business, and now he was silent.

"So..." you try to lead him into an explanation.

"Patience."

Well, great. This was going nowhere.

And so hallway after hallway went by. There was no way to tell if they were new or if he was just disorientating you. Every hallway looked the same.

Eventually, he stopped in front of an elavator and pressed the button. "This is where most of work is done," he says.

"In the.. elavator?" you raise an eyebrow.

"Ha! You're funny." He turns to you with a smile. "But no, not in the elavator. The bottom floor."

"What's down there?"

All he does is give you a wink. The doors to the elavator open and you apprehensively step inside. Figuring you weren't going to get anything out of Riggs, you settled into the silence. Your hands were shaking.

The ride down felt extremely long, but it was only a few seconds. Nothing could've prepared you for what you were about to see.

The top of the building was already mind boggling, but this?

This was on a whole nother level.

There were crates and storage absolutely everwhere. Workers were bustling to and fro. There were too many to count, let alone keep track of. The ceiling was high and the boxes of god knows what were stacked flush with it. Racks on racks on racks of storage. You spun in a circle, your mouth slightly open as you take everything in. You imagined this was what the back of a department store looked like but mulitiplied by a hundred.

"This, my boy, is my life's work." Riggs boasts proudly.

"What is it," you ask, breathless in awe.

"You'll know in due time. Now, follow me. I want to introduce you to the manager of this branch."

He sets off without another word and you follow after him, still gazing around at everything.

After a long couple of minutes walking, you reached a door that lead to the manager's office. Inside, a young man with dark circles under his eyes sat at a desk swamped in papers and files and old coffee cups. He had black hair so dark it was almost blue and a scruffy chin.
His eyes were a piercing blue magnified by the dark circles around his eyes. Poor dude probably hasn't slept in days.

"Finally!" Insomniac says angrily, holding a stack of papers. "I've been swamped in all this fucking work. Where the hell have you been?"

"Easy, Folgers. I was attending to something important. We can discuss work later."

"Fine," Folgers tosses the stack of papers aside. "What are you here, then?"

"I'd like you to give (Y/n) here a tour."

"For fuck's sake, another new employee?"

"He'll be working for me, which is why I need him trained properly."

That seemed to grab his attention. "Alright. Who is this guy anyway?"

"What?" you ask. Riggs had just told him your name.

"What connections do you have to be able to jump straight into working directly under the boss? Must be a shit ton."

"I practically raised him," Riggs says. "And also Desmond."

You look at him. Did he know about Desmond's actual job?

"Ah, I see. Well, that'll get you some high fucking places. Alright," he stands up from his chair. "Let's get to it then." He stretches and you wince as pratically every single bone in his body pops.

"After showing him around, have him tag along in this evening's shipment. I think you need some in person experience before I throw you into the next thing I have planned." Riggs says.

Shipment? Wait, what thing did he have planned? None of this felt very good.

"I already have plenty of guys going for that trip," Folger complains.

"Take one of them off. I want him on that truck tonight."

"Fine, fine. As you wish." He rolls his eyes. "Follow me," he says offhandledly to you before walking out of his office.

"Have fun," Riggs pats you on the shoulder and you follow after Folgers.

Not too far from his office was a little kichenette. It was kinda grimy, but it had a fancy coffee machine in the back corner.

"This is the lunch room. Keep lunches in the fridge, coffee pot is over here. Break it and I kill you." He grabs the coffee pot and walks past you for what you assumed was a cup, but to your surprise he just walked out the door with the entire pot of coffee.

"Everyone is working right now but usually there's always a couple slackers in there. Anyway, over here is uh well basically this entire place is just storage. Way at the end is where the unlucky folks have to pack everything, and at the back wall is where the trucks dock for the shipments. And the rest is self explanatory, if you can't figure it out then go home because you're dumber than a sack of lard." He noisily sips his coffee. "Alright, go fuck around and do whatever, I'm going back to my office."

You stand still and watch him leave. What a great fucking explanation... You spend the next hour or so walking around, touching things, exploring, enevitably getting lost, and eventually making it back to Folgers office.

"So," you say as you enter. "What exactly is in all the crates and shit."

"Don't ask, just work. None of your god damn business."

Fucking hell, okay then.

"Just take a seat, lard. You have another hour to waste. Here, fill this shit out." He throws a clipboard at you and you narrowly avoid being clocked in the face with it.

"What is it?" You ask.

He glares at you and you shut up. Right, no quesions, just do. Got it.