Chapter 25

The next morning, I appeared to have cooled down...enough. Regardless of the fact that I felt relieved for the first time in a long time, I still had a feeling buried deep, a feeling in which was making me come to believe that today would be no better than any other day.

    In addition to making my life more hellish, Katrina made sure as to milk every piece of information out of me once we left the library, though the most important topic was if Jesse and I were official. If it weren't for her being my best friend, I would have strangled her to death. But her persistence wasn't enough for me to say anything, except that there was nothing going on. In a way, I felt like I was lying - but I threw it aside before I could think it through, since it felt as if I were lying about everything anyway.

    As I trudged through the parking lot, sloshing through the snow-covered pavement, I found myself to have been staring at Jesse's Camaro. Quickly bypassing it, I couldn't help but give it one last glance before I opened up the main doors of the school.

        I'm surprised you weren't hung for scratching that. It must have cost a fortune – and then another fortune to keep it intact and then yet another to fix it.

    Standing at the door of my first class, the sound of laughing and incoherent chatter filled my ears. I realized then, that I had found my way in one piece – one piece, meaning, that I hadn't received any harassment from Jesse yet.

    Throughout the class, I tried to make no acknowledgement of the boy in the back of the room. Try as I may though, I still heard him – but didn't have it in me to turn around and look at him.

    Towards the end of the hour, it seemed to me that Jesse couldn't stand being unnoticed – or at least unnoticed by me, judging by his persistence when it came to testing my endurance.

    He scooted into the seat beside me, shooing the person who was already there off, and shifted so that his entire frame was facing me. With a sigh, I turned my head – meeting his eyes and becoming unwilling as to look away first.

    He made a warm smile, and I immediately noticed how the little movement caused his navy eyes to glint. "Hi."

        Well...there's a first for everything...

    Before I could respond, the loud sound of the bell ringing made me hastily clutch my bag. With a victory smile, I got up from my seat and darted out of the classroom door.

    For a second, I had thought he would head off to his class. But by now, I should have known something like that wouldn't happen.

        "You know, it feels like déjà vu when I do stuff like this. It almost feels like I've been chasing you through the halls almost a million times," he said, a childlike tone in his voice.

        "Then why don't you stop doing it?"

    Before I had any time to realize what he did, he sped up and shifted in front of me - stopping me in my tracks. "Because I'm chasing you for a reason."

    I sighed again, crossing my arms. "What do you want then?"

    He leaned forward – staring at me with glass-like eyes and an innocent yet severely hypnotic expression. Such a sight would have made me slap him, but somehow, in a way I wanted to do the complete opposite.

    As strange as it sounded, my gaze miraculously found their way to his lips.

    Deciding to play along at whatever he was trying, I froze. My mouth opened slightly, and my whole expression became blank. My arms fell limply at my sides, causing my bag to slip off my shoulder and dangle over my forearm.