Dean Portman

**Evangeline (Sully) and Dean are between the stages of friends and dating. He annoys her, she annoys him, but they get along when they wanna. Gloria is her friend.**

~~

She yawned tiredly.

"I-" She yawned once more, laughing to herself at how tired she was. "I got this music box in my room." She explained. "It's the same song that ever other music box has, but ever since I was little I liked it."

"Mhm hmm." He nods, wanting her to continue with the story.

"Something about it recently has me annoyed with it." She began to laugh a little more. "I'm sure your sister has one."

Dean shrugged, lifting an arm to the back of the booth seat, stretching as it was nearing ten o'clock. He sat slumped in the bench as he sat in front of him, slightly sitting more to the right than him. She was closer to the window, looking out the window every now and then.

She tended to talk a lot more when she got comfortable around people and he at first didn't want her stay, but then he didn't mind hearing banter of stories and tales. Sometimes she spoke about her family or friends, then diverted to music and movies, expressing her favorites and then asked his opinion.

"I can't remember." He answered.

She ran a hand through her hair, lying her head back tiredly against the back of the seat. "Tomorrow's Friday."

"I don't know why I'm asking, you probably finished it the day we got it, but finished Mrs. Madigan's history paper?"

She looked over to him, head tilted back as her eyes narrowed to the point he couldn't tell if she saw him or not, but she definitely saw him. "The day after, but yeah, I finished."

He sniffles with an inhale, leaning both arms onto the table. "You must like writing then."

"I dabble." She mocked his previous words.

He laughed quietly, finding it funny the way she mimicked him.

They sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes as Dean finished his pop, looking out the window as the people leaving stores and shops. It was nearing closing time and he was surprised they hadn't been kicked out for staying so late. A few waitresses walked around the sandwich joint, cleaning up and wiping down tables so they were spotless for the next day.

He looked back to Evangeline.

Her head was tilted to the side as she'd fallen asleep and in her hand, there was a donut with a bite taken from it. Effortlessly she had dozed off with a few yawns and the mere minutes of quietness between them. Her jacket was on the bench beside her and she looked so peaceful, he'd hate to wake her up but had to since the sit in joint was closing down.

He passed a waitress a twenty to cover their bill and waited for his change. When it was brought back to him, he stuffed the loose coins into the pocket of his jeans and stood up. Dean tapped her shoulder several times before her head fell and she woke suddenly with a small gasp.

Tired, merely opened, eyes looked over to see him and she smiled sheepishly at him, which got him to chuckle. "Store's closing, come on." He nods. "Grab your jacket."

She swallowed to wet her dry throat and reached over to the window, grabbing her puffy ski jacket. Arms up, she pulled it over her shoulders and snaked her hands through the sleeves. A terrible job at pulling her hands through the cuffs, she walked outside into the colder weather and followed Dean.

He had to grab the sleeve of her jacket a few times as she trailed off to the edge of the road. He didn't need anyone getting hurt and therefore yanked her arm back toward him. Dean kept a close distance with her to avoid any problems as she talked quietly, voice going from a whisper to a normal tone every few seconds.