Chapter 12 - Skills

Chapter Glossary

Onigiri: Japanese typical food, made of rice, typically in a triangle shape.

Gambare: "good luck" / "work hard"

-:-:-

I heave a deep sigh as I watch the shooting, especially as I watch Gareth's acting. It still amazes me how he gets into character in a matter of seconds, without having to concentrate or a ritual. It's just in a blink of an eye and he does it perfectly.

How can someone be that talented?

And it's not only how fast and well he gets into character, it's also that he gets out as easily. I know some method actors that get so into the character that they can't just get out and actually get kind of messed up even after the shooting is done. But with Gareth is completely different. He becomes Sasha and then goes back to Gareth before you can say onigiri and if it weren't because I see it happen I wouldn't believe it's possible. And even when I see it I still have my doubts.

The scene they are shooting now it's an uplifting one where Sasha is trying to cheer Lana up and distract her from the fact a resistance really exists, so he is showing all his charms and playful personality, taunting her with his own ability, making flowers grow and the earth beneath her feet to shake in a controlled way just to startle her a little, playing with her. He is full smiles and chuckles, jumping from one place to the other and the sight is exactly how I envisioned it when I read the book.

After a few days watching them actually acting the parts I've grown used to Zoe playing Lana to the point I only see her as the character. I hope it's the same for the audience. It's a good thing she's the focus of the first film as like that we can concentrate on promoting her image, making the readers get used to seeing Zoe Miller as Lana. If we do this properly when promoting the film, then by the time it premieres the audience will be more keen to her and it won't be that shocking.

But even if I'm used by now to Zoe as Lana, she is still a rookie and she makes the most mistakes. It's not that terrible and I assume it's mostly because she is nervous and under too much pressure, but she still messes up her lines quite often or loses her concentration, especially when she's acting with Gareth. Maybe he intimidates hers. I know that if I were acting I would be very nervous to work with the Ice Prince, especially if I see the change from so close.

She once again forgets makes a mistake when she is acting and it's the fifth time already. Needless to say how annoyed Jerry is by now or anyone else, but Gareth keeps his cool. In fact, he is too cool and probably that freaks Zoe even more because he doesn't even show a little bit of annoyance. When she messes up, he just stops moving, loses the smile and it's back to the Ice Prince.

"Argh, okay. Let's take five, everyone!" the director shouts. "Zoe, do it right next time. Stop messing around!"

"I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry," Zoe apologises and she looks so miserable right now that I feel really bad for her. I can't even be annoyed although it's really her fault we have to keep shooting the very same scene. "Gareth, I'm sorry. I don't know why I can't remember the lines and stage directions properly today."

Gareth just shrugs and turns around to go where his manager is waiting with a water bottle and a towel. One of the makeup artists is there, too, making sure to retouch his makeup, especially the eye contacts. He really looks good with Earth Bound eyes.

Zoe crouches down, completely defeated after messing it up again and she doesn't move. The makeup artist has to go to her to make sure she's all right. She probably thinks Gareth hates her and believes she's just a useless model trying to be an actress. I know I would think that if I saw him treating me like that. God, I'm tempted to think that he really doesn't regard her enough to even bother to be annoyed. When he is the Ice Prince he looks so arrogant and unapproachable that I feel tempted to hate him, but I have a gut feeling that tells me it's not as simple as that and that if I believed that I would be just misjudging him. Besides, I've seen a nice and kind of awkward side of him.