2~Life debt

∞ Nyx's POV ∞

It was dark. A deep darkness that brought a much-needed sense of peace. Then the pain slowly began. I could feel myself rising towards consciousness, and with it away from peace. The throbbing headache became stronger and my head span for moments before it slowly settled into a constant rhythm.

A soothing rhythm, despite the pain. Much like the waves of a sea.

Wait, waves? Indeed, these are waves, I can feel and hear them.

I opened my eyes and saw a wooden ceiling, I'm I on a ship...... Am I alive?

As I slowly regained consciousness, my senses started to wake and were assaulted by a burning scent. Fumes flew and blurred the air above my sight. I turned my head slowly, following them to their source. It took a moment for my eyes to focus and see him, sitting on my left, on the same bed I was laying on.

"You came around. About time"

His voice, deep and commanding. I didn't know him, but I've seen him before. As I stared at him, he took a long breath through a cigarette and slowly released the fumes above me again, almost distracting me.

"Pardon me. But where am I? and who are you?"

My voice sounded weak and hoarse, making my lungs hurt from the effort of talking. He blew another fuming breath, before looking down at me and announcing.

"I'm the one you owe your life to. As for where you are, you're on the Martina. Welcome to hell"

He smirked and it sent chills through me. Was he joking? Did he mean to scare me?

Martina... That must be the name of this ship. Such an ominous calling. But that was the least of my troubles. Whatever was fated to me, it seemed like it wasn't death. I was indeed alive.

Is that for the best? I'm not sure... No matter. I have important duties to go back to.

I nodded, stopping immediately when my head started spinning. I groaned as I held my head in an attempt to stop its throbbing.

"It seems I made a fool of myself and burdened you, sir. Thank you for saving me. I'll make sure to repay your kindness as soon as we reach the shores"

Thanking him was the polite thing to do. I, on the other hand, didn't think it was the best idea. Dying wasn't that bad after all, and I already miss the peacefulness of not being alive. As these thoughts crossed my mind, I decided I should focus on the present. There was probably some gain of me being alive. Now I could make sure that Terry would be punished and kept away from my family. I needed to resume taking care of my mother and sister, along with our family business. If I manage that, everything will be better.

Would it, though? Was it really Terry that led me to where I was right now? Or was it my incompetence that-

"M-my clothes!?", I shifted to sit up when I noticed my very naked state beneath the thin, black bed sheet.

Once again, the answer took its time to be provided, and when it was, it somehow sounded full of unspoken meanings.

"I removed your clothes for you. You were drenched from your little visit underwater. You're welcome", he said in a nonchalant way. As if it was the most normal occurrence.

"Um... Th-thank you, I guess"

This was an embarrassing situation. I felt my face heat and turned to look away from his dark presence. Well, if I was well enough to blush, then I should be ok to move.