Chapter 18

The minute her hand touched his chest, Erin realized she might not be able to carry her plan through. The bolt of white hot heat that seared from the point of contact, washed over her in tidal waves of desire that threatened to drown her.

She gasped, her lungs suddenly in dire need of air. She could feel his accelerated heartbeat beneath her fingertips and his sharp indrawn breath simply confirming what she already knew.

Ethan wanted her. Bad.

The thought lifted Erin's spirit to soaring point, filling her with renewed determination. She would show him that she was just as capable of cold hard rejection as he was.

Buoyed by this, she deliberately allowed her body to brush against his, enjoying the way his eyes narrowed even further at the move. Her breasts, already hard peaks of lust, brushed against his jacket, eliciting a bolt of pure desire.

"I hope you know what you're doing." Ethan warned, his voice coming out harsh and raspy.

She merely grinned in response. "Oh I do know. I'm playing your game Ethan, just the way you like it."

She swayed even closer, sliding her other hand onto his chest. God! Even covered by layers of clothing, she could still feel the firmness of his abs and the heat that radiated off him. She knew what he looked like without clothes, that memory was permanently seared into her brain, tormenting her every waking second.

His eyes narrowed to suspicious slits as he watched her, trying to figure out her game. "Be careful Erin." He warned, "Don't start something you can't finish."

His warning set delicious chills racing down her spine, the feel of his arousal pressing heavily against her leg and suddenly, Erin realized she very much wanted to finish whatever was sizzling between them

God help her, but her traitorous body had turned to mush, the heat pooling between her legs a pleasurable discomfort.

But she needed to stay in control. She was certainly not a sex-starved woman in heat who couldn't control a little seduction. She was just going to prove he still wanted her despite his blatant denial and then dump him like a sack of hot potatoes as soon as she got him all hot and bothered enough.

"Thanks for the warning Ethan, but I’m sure I can handle myself just fine." Her tone came out in an annoying aroused whisper and she frowned, hating how much that gave away.

Of course, the asshole had to go and notice how breathless she sounded just then. Ethan smirked, one eyebrow raised in silent mockery.

One hand snaked out to wrap around her waist, drawing her closer to him till every part of her body was molded to his.

“Is that right Ms. Gosling?” His words teased and challenged Erin at the same time while an amused grin played on his lips. But his eyes told her he was far from teasing, they were dark orbs of desire as his head slowly lowered down to hers.

Stay in control Erin! Her mind practically screamed even as her body prepared for his kiss. She wanted him, longed for him even, but if they were going to do this all the way, she would damn well make sure she was the one calling all the shots this time.

“Wait.” Erin placed a restraining hand on Ethan’s chest, enjoying the stunned look he gave her, clearly surprised that she’d stopped him. Still, he stopped, studying her.

Erin extricated herself from his grasp and took a step back, her hand still on his chest, a mischievous smile playing on her lips as she reached up and grasped his tie. A hard tug had him stumbling towards her, but at the last minute, Erin twisted slightly and let go.