REST

REST

The absence of sound.

They say no one can ever prepare you for it, no matter how many times you talk yourself through it. Even if you've read about how other people have handled it, it doesn't matter. You won't be ready for the way it'll suddenly, dramatically change your life.

Question is, is it death I'm speaking of? Or birth? And what's more, does it even matter?

Losing someone and bringing someone new into the world are both life events that come at us with such power. It's hard to emotionally manage one, let alone both simultaneously. I don't think anyone would have argued how hard that would be, yet I felt as if I wasn't managing it well enough. I felt flawed, unhinged, and weak. Imagining life without Jane was already sucking the air out of my lungs.

"You're withdrawing again," Yoongi was getting worried because I was having a hard time coping with Jane's decline

"You're withdrawing again," Yoongi was getting worried because I was having a hard time coping with Jane's decline. I wasn't eating as much as I should have, and I even had some days where it was hard to go into the room and see her at all. Sometimes I almost couldn't look at her because it was only a painful reminder that soon she'd be gone.

"I'm okay," I replied softly. My shirt had grown too tight, too hot, and I just needed a break from the constricting fabric, so I tugged it over my head and tossed it to the side. Then I crawled up into the bed and lounged back into the pile of down comforters and oversized white pillows to relax after a day that had frankly been tougher than most. Jane was in a lot of pain and wasn't able to stay awake because her pain medications were making her extremely drowsy. At a certain point I was overwhelmed by how much her condition had advanced overnight that I had escaped to go lie down. Yoongi, of course, followed close behind.

"There are other reasons you need to stay strong." As he sat beside me on the bed, his loving hand traveled over my stomach and I felt the light thumping of little feet just beneath it responding to his touch. I knew he was right.