CHAPTER 24

Ryan's POV

A candlelight dinner date is what I have planned out for the evening. Frankly, I was looking forward to this evening when I was at the office and I kept wondering if going back home to change was the best.

I couldn't go back home and I am thankful I wore something good today. I am dressed in a slim-fit suit with black suede shoes.

I look around the empty restaurant and finally at the table filled with candlelight and a bouquet of flowers.

Valerie was right. There is little we can do to help my mother. This is why we are doing this. It won't hurt to act for a little while because Valerie and I are getting along well, pretty quickly.

It will make Mother happy.

It also will not hurt if we fake a pregnancy just to make her happy. 

I can't continue to live with this grief. The earlier I accept reality, the better for both of us. Even for Valerie.

If Mother dies, I see no reason why we should continue with this marriage, except of course for the contract. We already signed it and we have to wait for 20 months before the marriage will be annulled.

Before then, I will do all that is within my power to make Mother happy.

I adjust on the table, suddenly feeling giddy and nervous when it isn't even real. It is just an act. We will keep doing this until Mother hears of this from someone and then we can stay cool for a while, then begin to go to parties or go shopping together.

I just want her to feel like this marriage is indeed working. 

Before I can shift the flower to the other side so it will be facing her when she arrives, the guard at the door opens the transparent door and I know immediately that she is here.

Valerie Adams. 

She steps into the restaurant in a sexy off-shoulder lace dress hugging her body tightly and exposing her curves.

The dress stops at her knees and my gaze shifts there down to her long legs. She is wearing strappy black heels to compliment her red dress. 

Her face is as beautiful as ever, reminding me of my first impression of her. To be honest, Valerie is a beautiful woman. 

As she approaches, I notice her full brow which I never observed before probably because I have never had time to examine or admire her properly. Her hair is packed and she is holding a black purse too.

She has make-up on and red lipstick, making her lips admirable.

Then, she smiles.

I blink and slump back into the seat.

Fuck!

"So much for our first date", she utters, without paying attention to my discomfort.