Chapter 61

Namjoon POV

I had forgotten how nice it was to have a home.

Waking up every day in a bed, safe and with a roof over our heads, it just felt like a dream. We had been on the streets for so long that I'd almost forgotten how much I craved to be taken care of.

After the owners that we'd had, and the monsters that hurt Jungkook, it was easy to think that all humans are the same. It was difficult to trust, but also difficult to be alone. It was like one half of your soul wanted to be independent and free from cruel humans, but the other half was just dying for a person that would take care of you.

And now we had that person.

As amazing as this home was, and as welcoming as they had been, we couldn't get too comfortable here. Sure, Y/N offered us to stay, but we weren't adopted. We weren't her pack, weren't her hybrids.

Over the last few weeks though, I felt myself slipping more and more into complacency, I let myself see this as my home. I was cautious of Y/N at first, but she was clearly nothing like the people we've dealt with in the past.

She was the owner that every hybrid dreamed of having. Granted, with the 6 of us living on her one salary, we weren't exactly rolling in money, but we had a house, we had food, and we had our health.

Jungkook craved affection dearly, and he did get it sometimes, but I knew Y/N didn't want to upset her own pack. I understood that she didn't want to show us too much attention, in fear of hurting her hybrids. He was at least getting more human affection than he'd had in years, so it was better than nothing.

I knew he tried to be strong, but Jin craved affection almost as much as Jungkook did, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the same. If Y/N was going to give out any ear scratches at all though, it was going to go to Jungkook. He'd been through a lot, he was permanently disfigured, and he needed all the love he could get.

I'd always been a bit weary of Yoongi, not really understanding why he was so okay with us being here. But living with him these last few weeks, and hearing bits and pieces from the guys, it was clear that he had a good heart.

I couldn't believe my eyes when Yoongi brought the snake home. At first I thought my nose was playing tricks on me, muddled up by the smells of the food we were cooking, but seeing that pale, white snake wrapped around Yoongi's torso, I knew it was Taehyung.

After all these years, we were finally under the same roof again. I wonder if he remembers me?

Maybe it was a good thing that Y/N had taken him to her room, and left the others to sleep in here. I did feel really bad for them, they probably felt replaced, but it also meant that Jungkook got to be surrounded by more of his friends, feeling secure and safe.

I rolled my head over to the side, staring at the panther curled up on the floor. We offered to adjust our sleeping arrangements, considering all of us except him and I were small-ish animals. But he insisted he was fine on the floor.

Yoongi looked rough after Y/N walked out with Taehyung. I couldn't really pick out exactly he was feeling, but I could tell at least he felt guilty, the scent of sadness and anger also seeping from him. At least the smell didn't affect my packmates, rather, they were actually sleeping quite well with the addition of the fox and cat in our bed.

I wondered if Y/N let Taehyung sleep in her bed with her. Jungkook would probably be super upset about that, considering he's been here for weeks and wanted nothing more than to sleep with her. Maybe I should go check on her, he was a venomous snake after all.