2

☆

☆.。.:*.。.:*☆

Eyes are funny things; they can see everything or nothing at all, despite the ability they have to take in everything in the vicinity. Your brain controls them in reality; if your brain wants them to see one thing, they will. If your brain wants you to take in everything, they will. The brain is a manipulator when you think about it. Maybe that's why they say if you think you will do badly in something, you will.

My eyes don't care about everything about me; or rather, my brain doesn't. The only thing they want to land on is Edward. He's standing beside Nate and Lucas Miller. I don't yet know who my five formal dances are, but I can guess that the public will have chosen Nate. He's the nation's sweetheart after everything that happened with finding out he's a Lord.

"You look lovely, sweetheart. This is going to go well, okay?" Dad whispers beside me. The cameras are focusing on the contestants and the host right now, so we get a moment.

"Thanks, Dad."

"Don't think I didn't take note of the dress colour. Clever." Dad's mentioning the fact I'm wearing black to a royal ball.

My eyes finally meet Edward's, and his eyes travel the length of me. He's trying to keep a straight face, but I can tell by the desire swirling in his eyes that I look good. My dress is a sequined bodice that plunges and shows some cleavage. The skirt is A-line tuille, and the whole thing is in classic black. She's done my blonde hair in a half-up curled style with my diamond and emerald silver tiara. I'm wearing the necklace that Nate gave me for my seventeenth birthday and a few simple bracelets.

The moment Lauren showed me what she chose for the dress, she said she chose black because it's a classic mourning colour for royals. If you're a woman, you only wear all black if you're mourning, so it's a statement. That, and it looks fucking incredible, if I say so myself.

My eyes fall on Nate, and he's giving me a small smile as the host and camera turn to me and my dad to introduce us to the world.

The host brings out the five red roses so she can present them to the men the public chose for the formal dance.

I sit on the velvet blue throne in the middle of the room while every single person in attendance is standing around watching – not only the contestants, but the government of Modern-England, and government officials in every country represented by the Games participants. That includes Edward's government, as well as those in the three countries that would've declared war if we hadn't held these stupid things. For the rest of this contest, this throne will be carted around rooms for me to sit and watch each round – even if I'm not judging it. As 'host', I get to oversee everything, even if I don't want to.

The host gives the first rose to Nate, unsurprising.

They give the second one to Lucas Miller – the son of the American President. He's dressed in a navy blue suit with his blonde hair pushed back. It was the charm in his application that made me pick him; he seemed chipper, almost full of himself. Fun is how I described him, and well clued up on American politics, but not so much on Monarchian-Republic, which isn't a bad thing. Mama didn't want me to pick him, but his unsmartness in politics bodes well for Nate and Edward.