-11-

sophia?

sophia?

THERE WAS NOTHING BETTER FOR SCARLETT THAN BEING IN THE WOODS. She knew almost every nook and cranny, and she explored them more than once. Carl's eyes were wide with excitement as she gave him bits of tips here and there. He was a good partner, and she smiled thinking of Otis—her last partner being just as good.

"Can we check the church again? Wasn't it near where you found her dress?" Carl asked.

Scarlett nodded, letting him lead the way once she pointed in the right direction. Carl was quiet on his feet as he crouched like a real hunter. Scarlett grinned, nudging Carl as they saw a rabbit in front of them.

She took out a throwing knife, giving it to him as she helped position his body. Once she felt confident in his aim, she tapped his head once. Carl's hand shook a bit as he let out a deep breath while releasing the knife.

Scarlett winced as he made the target but not to kill. Carl groaned softly as the rabbit squealed in pain from the wound. She rubbed Carl's shoulder once before walking over to the hare, putting it out of its misery.

"Good job," she praised him anyway. He made the target a bit.

Carl watched as she tied the rabbit and let it hang over her shoulder.

"You look like Daryl, dead animals hanging off ya," Carl chuckled. Scarlett rolled her eyes, pushing him slightly.

They continued walking, Carl focused on wiping the rabbit blood off of the knife before handing it back to her. He kept a grip on Otis's hunting knife that Scarlett asked him to use instead of the gun for now. More like she glared until he took it.

Groans were getting louder as they got closer to the church, and Scarlett could see Carl getting mentally prepared.

Normally, Scarlett was not worried about a few walkers. She knew she could handle herself enough, but she did let a little worry for Carl break her stoic expression. He was under her care, and she knew he wanted to be a hero. However, he needed to save himself as well.

They got into a clearing where the church was, and Carl kept muttering Sophia's name under his breath. "There had to be somewhere they did not check," he continued to himself.

Carl watched how easily Scarlett took out one walker that got too close for their liking. Carl rose a brow as she went through his person, finding another small knife on him. She handed it to Carl and let him put it in her backpack. Scarlett saw Carl practically bouncing to kill the next walker that neared them. She let him do it, staying close by as he did what his dad taught him and kicked the walker's legs first to get it to his height. Then, he stabbed it in the head with no mercy.

As Scarlett did, he went through the walker, finding a bottle of Tylenol. Shrugging, he added it to her bag.

"Come," she murmured, hearing more groans inside. They dodged two walkers that would just slow them down, and she closed the church's door in their growling faces.

Carl turned in time, seeing a walker coming mouth open to bite Scarlett. He stabbed him in the eye, shoving him back. Scarlett locked the door and gave Carl a nod of thanks.

They moved down the aisle, Carl seeing the walkers his dad and Shane already took out. There was another groan as they got closer to the front of the church. She glanced at Jesus hanging there, and she sighed. Thanks for this, she thought, letting Carl lead them around.

"We checked these offices last time," Carl murmured as they went through each office. They killed another walker on their way, but besides that, they were okay. "I just hoped she'd come here. This is close to where you found her dress, yeah?" he asked again. She nodded. "I just want to find her."

Scarlett sighed, letting him lead her back out. They walked outside, cursing as they saw a small pack of walkers. They had noticed the two non-dead folks, so Carl prepared himself to fight. More walkers appeared behind the group, so Scarlett shook her head to Carl, motioning for him to open the bunker they had passed. They backed up, Scarlett getting frightened as she killed one of them. "Carl!" she shouted, wishing he would hurry. Carl got the basement doors open, and he jumped down. Scarlett killed one more before jumping inside the basement. She shouted when a walker got her hair. Carl took out his gun, shooting the woman walker before shutting the door.

Scarlett was shaking and breathing heavily as she stared at Carl. Immediately, she grabbed his hands to move his body around. She glanced all over him to look for bites or scratches. She pulled his shirt up and down and twisted his body all over the place.

Carl could not help but giggle at her face. "I'm fine!" he laughed.

Scarlett leaned her forehead on his, breathing heavily as both of their eyes shut. He was fine.

His eyes opened as she leaned away, wincing at the slams of walker bodies on the door. They would break through if they did not think of something.

"Come on," she whispered, ignoring the pain in her wrist from the sprain.

She flicked on her flashlight, giving another to Carl from her bag. He glanced around, seeing lots of things kept in the basement.

"Water," he muttered, grabbing the large gallon bottles. "We should take it." Empty bottles were littered across the floor. "I'll put the water in these bottles... easier to carry."

She nodded, staring around the room while keeping Carl in her sight. She lifted a few items, grimacing at the dusty area. She saw a cross that was broken. She saw empty wrappers. When she moved on, she furrowed her brows. There was movement and a small sound that caught her attention.

"Carl," she whispered as he finished the third bottle. He did two more while she crouched to try and see what the sounds were. More slams of walker bodies caused her to wince just as a small whimper was heard. Carl put the bottles in her backpack while she sighed. "Must be a walker in here."

"I'll get it," Carl said, walking forward. He saw something moving under a large tarp-like blanket. It did not seem that big. "Must be a small one..."

Scarlett watched as he began to pull the tarp off of the body, eyes widening as he shouted, "Sophia!?"