Fulton Reed

I missed school yesterday.

With an inhale, I kept my head low and went down a less crowded hallway to get to my locker. Glancing behind me, my fingertips grasped the hem of my hood and pulled it back over my forehead to keep myself shielded. I didn't want it falling and I purposely sat in the back of every class today for in case one of my teachers told me to take it off. It wasn't a comfort thing, well it was, today the hood definitely was but normally it isn't. I prefer a hat or nothing, kinda sorta thing, you know?

It was nearing the end of the day and I had two things on my mind, well maybe three. One, I wanted to get out here. Two, I wanted the least amount of people to see me right. Three, I wasn't feeling the best. People continued to litter the halls even after the bell rang and no part of me expected it to be cleared five minutes after that bell. 

It was like driving in China or Japan, there wasn't much coordination in which everyone went but no one caused an accident. No one ran into each other and books weren't being dropped to the floors, it was just a crowded hallway with people filing in and out. Lockers were slammed shut and kids were happily laughing or cheering their goodbyes. In the distance, I could see a few of my own friends but didn't bring any attention to them or myself as I wanted out of here.

Holding a set of books in my left arm, I reached back with my right to grab the dangling lanyard from the side pocket of my backpack. I heard them jingle and the tension had been released when my keys flew at my side before my hand gripped them. Just around the corner ahead of me when I looked up, I noticed my boyfriend coming around that corner with a laugh as he walked with two of his friends.

I didn't realize I'd let out a small gasp of surprise when someone looked at me weirdly, and therefore turned in a hurry. Bowing my head and tugging down my hood, I walked in the opposing direction and decided to give up putting my books away. I'll just bring them home and bring them back tomorrow, it wasn't that big of a deal.

I had enough homework to get done and getting home was a priority. It was beginning to feel like a panic when I saw my boyfriend, the urge to just run off and say nothing was at the top of my list. He did absolutely nothing wrong, not that he doesn't, but today he hadn't and it was me who was avoiding him.

I know he knows. He kept trying to grab my attention and I tried my best not to speak with him, and that was incredibly hard because I felt like a bitch toward him all day. He knows there's something off about me today, probably linking it to yesterday, and he was right if he thought that.

My head and side were sore, and most movements caused me to feel that achiness, but I tried not to bother with it. I kind of just ached everywhere and I thought by taking two Tylenols it would help, but apparently the only thing it was doing is making me feel worst. To be honest, I don't even know if they were Tylenols or not, I winged it by guessing that's what it was since they were in the wrong bottle.

"Y/N!"

I heard him call my name.

This only made me bow my head even more and walk faster than I had bee. The doors were so close I could reach them, but I felt his hand grab the top of my shoulder and I dug my heels to the floor. He tried to spin me around to see me, his voice giddy as he was talking and I focused on getting past the doors.

"Hey... Y/N?"

He was trying to get my attach since I hadn't paid attention to him all day, and I was absent yesterday. 

I lowered my head with a low exhale. "I'm busy, I gotta go." He said quickly.

"Wa-wa-wait." He ranted, tugging my arm as I tried to go. "Why're you avoiding me?" He continued. "You were sick yesterday and today you barely say 'hi'."