CHAPTER 25

Valerie's POV

Impressive is an understatement of Ryan's behavior tonight. First, he sent me a message for the very first time since we have crossed paths with each other and ended the text with a heart emoticon.

Second, he was polite enough to tell one of the guards to drive me down here.

Third, he got me flowers, apart from the necklace from last night which I haven't brought myself to try on yet.

Fourth, he is being one heck of a gentleman. 

He is trying to make me forget Fred that easily by insisting on calling me Val. I can't help it but that name stirs up something in me that I can't figure out.

It is not just anger or the remembrance of Fred. It is something unspeakable that I haven't figured out on my own yet.

He was right in saying that I haven't gotten over Fred yet. If I had gotten over the idea, I wouldn't have cried last night.

I didn't particularly cry. A tear actually rolled down my eyes. And I was quick to wipe it off my face because I already made a vow never to cry for him or any other man.

I am done with them.

I should get rid of him and everything that reminds me of him. This was the exact thing I said to myself on the day I met with Ryan in that restaurant. I said I wanted to forget Fred but it hasn't been an easy task.

Forgetting him is like erasing half of my life away from my memory. Forgetting him means restricting my movement and not going to places we have been to before. 

Forgetting him means not visiting the orphanage too where he accompanied me twice.

Forgetting him means a lot of things that I can not do without. 

Fred left with those butterflies too but I really can't live without them, can I?

Ryan is right. For the first time since I have known him, he speaks with so much wisdom. 

I should get over Fred but not by insisting that I want to stop doing or hearing things that remind me of him.

"You know what?!" His deep voice pulls me out of my thoughts as the waiter serves our meal, taking the bouquet away and dropping them on a separate table.

My gaze lingers on the flowers until Ryan taps my hand.

"You look lost in thought", he remarks as he digs into his food. I smile without a word. "Let's eat."

I suddenly lose my appetite. I wish I can tell him that but I am afraid he will get upset after everything he has done tonight, even though they are not meant to impress me.

I begin to eat too.

"A day will come when you will think about that man and smile, not because you are still hurt but because you are grateful he left."