40. Katy Perry Fireworks and Ramen Noodles

Chapter 40

            "Have you gone blind?" Coda snaps, grabbing my wrist and effectively twisting me away before I can punch him.

            "Clearly I can see just fine," I say angrily, yanking my arm out of his grasp.

            It was hot in this room.

            "Do it again. This time, I want you to hit me in the throat," Coda says, running a hand through his hair in frustration.

            His shirt clings to his body, but even that sight doesn't distract me from the raging anger I feel within me.

            Sure, I sucked at fighting. I wasn't raised in a gang like he was.

            He didn't have to be so mean about everything.

            Rubbing my wrist, I glare at Coda when he meets my gaze. He looks away quickly with a frown on his face, and I know that he feels bad for grabbing my wrist but I don't say anything. I wanted him to suffer.

            Taking a deep breath, I step back and raise my fists so they are face level.     

            One second, Coda is staring at the ground his back to me and the next he is throwing a punch at my face, his fist stopping inches from my face—to close for comfort.

            Somewhere, deep in my heart, I knew Coda wouldn't hurt me. He moved with a certain agility and swiftness though that at times, it had me second guessing.

            Dodging clumsily, I duck and try to punch his exposed side but he turns away too quickly.

            His arm latches onto my waist and I try to push him off but his hold is made of iron. He presses my back against his chest.

            I try to wiggle away and Coda's lips press against my ear.

            "Slow down. You can't just frantically trash around hoping your attacker lets you go. Calm yourself and direct your thoughts," he says, impatiently.

            Feeling frustrated with myself and everything in general, I growl in response, elbowing Coda in the stomach.

            He doesn't even flinch, knowing that I was holding back.

            We were both holding back because neither of us really wanted to hurt the other.

            "Come on, I know you can elbow harder than that," Coda urges, his grip tightening.

            I feel tears prickling my eyes. I couldn't do this. Coda and I had been at this for hours and still I showed no improvement. It wasn't like Coda was helping either. While I didn't expect him to coddle me, I didn't think he'd be this harsh.

            The first tear falls and I stop struggling, angrily wiping it away.

            "Why are you stopping? You can't just give up—" Coda begins to say before he stops, turning me around so I am facing him. "Are you crying?"

            "No," I say angrily, pushing him away.

            He holds onto me, regret in his eyes.

            "Hey—"

            "I'm fine," I say, escaping his grasp and walking away quickly.