||Five||

Jake sighed for the fourth time during our tutoring session.

"Did you hear anything I just said?" He asked me.

I looked up from my notebook, the page as blank as the expression I wore on my face. "No."

Jake shook his head at me, "You shouldn't have called if you knew you'd be distracted the whole time."

I checked the clock that hung on the wall of my apartment. "It's only been fifteen minutes."

"Exactly, and you're already distracted. Has anyone ever told you that you have the attention span of a puppy?"

I sat up from my slouched position on the couch. Jake's textbooks, notebooks, laptop and other things that aided him with teaching, were scattered across the coffee table in the living room section of my apartment. We sat around it, Jake trying to explain something about finding derivatives or whatever.

"I'm sorry," I said, kind of meaning it.

Jake's expression relaxed slightly as he ran his fingers through his cropped hair. He set his chocolate brown eyes on me, as if analyzing me, using the same expression on his face when he's trying to understand a difficult problem.

Too bad he's straight as a pole.

"Are you okay? You've been acting weird lately," he said, setting his pen down.

"Well, you know, it isn't easy knowing your best-friend slash long time crush who you thought was straight, is actually gay and has a boyfriend. No biggie."

"You told me already."

"Oh," I added before he could say anything else,"I also lied to him and his boyfriend by pretending that my friend is my boyfriend. Which he's not, because he likes someone else and that someone likes him too. I also kissed him by the way.  I am surrounded by people who are in relationships, yet I'm not in one."

If he wasn't entertained by this confession-session before, he was now.

"And this all happened throughout the span of a week?"

I nodded.

He smiled goofily, "Sucks to be you."

I glared, "Like I don't know that already."

"I have a question," he said after a moment of silence.

I rolled my eyes, "What?"

"Is everyone you know gay?"

I threw my pencil at him, missing by a long shot. It wasn't like I was ever good at sports anyway.

"I'll take that as a yes," he laughs.

"It's not funny," I mumbled, sounding a lot like a child.

He leaned back against the couch, settling in comfortably before looking at me strangely.

"What?" I snap.

He holds his hands up in defense, "I didn't say anything."

"You were looking at me weirdly."

"Just thinking."

"Of?"

"You're so nosy. But because I've known you for almost...what? Two years? I know that you're going to pester me till you know everything that's going on in my head."

He was so right, it freaked me out.

"Well?" I asked.

"I was just thinking, that if I didn't like bo-"