chapter 62.

lxii.

"Mira, can you help me bring these to my table at the teacher's room?" Her economics teacher asked, pushing up her glasses. Her face was void of any emotions, making the girl think that the woman was having a bad day. Mrs. Seo was usually smiley, but today was not it.

"Sure, Mrs," Mira agreed, slinging her bag over her shoulder and approaching the teacher's desk to carry the stack of notebooks that belonged to her classmates. Before fully leaving the classroom, she took a final glance inside, noticing almost all of her classmates had already left. She was always the final student to leave.

Placing the notebooks down at the edge of Mrs. Seo's table, Mira heaved a sigh of relief. Carrying twenty-five notebooks was heavy, not to mention they were thick as heck.

After excusing herself, Mira exited the room and shut the door gently. Upon walking down the hallway, a few delicate pitter-patters were heard. The girl approached the nearest classroom, eyes darting to the window, noticing a few rain droplets.

Mira frowned at the sight. It wasn't pouring in the morning, or the afternoon, just windy and overcast. Why did the clouds decide to spit out their beads of water just as she was about to head home? Puddles began plinking as the rainfall became heavier, and the view became hazy.

Mira dug through her bag to find the familiar object of an umbrella. That was when she remembered she had forgotten it back at home. Pursing her lips with irritation, the female took out her phone and clicked on her mother's number, walking to the lobby.

With every step, she listened to the rings on repeat. Three, four. Seven, eight. Just as the sound of her mother answering the phone was heard, the following second, the woman's voice was quickly cut short. Mira retracted her device and eyed her black screen, attempting to dial her parent once more but it was out of battery. A rumble was heard.

The rainfall became more intense. A wall of rain drummed against the roof of the school and she took a step back, avoiding being soaked. The sound of rain blurred into one long, whirring noise, reminding her of the rotor blades on a helicopter.

She scratched her jaw, figuring she would have to wait until it eases down. Even though waiting outside by the school porch was refreshing and cool, she wanted to sit down on a bench inside. Adding the fact that her phone ran out of life, there was nothing else she could do to maintain her boredom.

Mira swung her legs back and forth, staring blankly at her black shoes until a thought hits her. She could ask her aunt to give her a ride home. Jiheon always goes to school in her car.

A voice spoke, snapping her back to reality, "Mira?"

The girl looked to her left, raising an eyebrow as she was met with the familiar figure of Jungwon, "You're still here?" She pointed to the glass front doors, "It's raining. How are you supposed to go home?"

"My sister is picking me up. What about you?" Jungwon questioned her back, walking past to wait outside. He was wearing a chocolate hoodie over his uniform, staying warm from the cold weather. Mira looked at him before standing up from the bench, "I was about to ask Ms. Jeon to give me a ride home."

She stopped by the double doors, watching Jungwon pulling his phone out to perhaps text his older sister. He frowned at her words, making her chuckle at his facial expression, "I'll get going. She's probably in the teacher's room. Get home safely." With a quick goodbye, Mira turned around and left.

Retracing her steps back to the teacher's office, she heavily exhaled. Mira knocked thrice before opening the door. She looked around for her aunt, finding her nowhere in sight, and ended up asking one of the teachers nearby, getting information that Ms. Jeon was currently busy teaching secondary classes on the third floor.

With a disappointed nod, Mira excused herself once more. She groaned quietly, face contorted to annoyance knowing she would have to wait for two to three more hours. I guess I could wait in the art room, She thought, drawing would do.

As she turned a corner, soft fabric was felt over her head eliciting a light shriek from the girl. Her vision was soon replaced by the same boy who she thought had left earlier, her head popping out of the neck hole. With him helping her put his hoodie on. "Slip your arms through."

Confusion was apparent in her expression but she obeyed regardless, slipping both of her arms through the sleeves. Without wasting any more time, Yang Jungwon pulled the hood over her head as he dragged her to the lobby. "I'll take you home," He whispered.

For sure, a white car was on standby. As Jungwon opened the door (getting drenched by the rain), his older sister was there, but an older boy sat in the driver's seat. Yang Jihye had a grin on her face as she gestured for them to get in. "I hope you don't mind us picking you up. Jungwon was worried about you," Her sister informed as the car started moving.

"You could stay over at ours, Mira? It's pouring really hard. I'm sure traffic will be everywhere," Jihye continued, the car turning left after leaving the school gates. Normally, Mira would turn right to go to the bus stop but it looked like it was closed early.

"But I haven't informed my parents yet..." Jeon Mira muttered, eyes darting to Jungwon who had pulled the hood off her head as he fixed her hair gently. "My phone died, so I can't contact them."

Mira allowed him to tug a strand of hair behind her ear. She noticed his hair was slightly damped and the shoulder part of his uniform had the marks of droplets of water. Jungwon paused his actions as he gave her an awkward smile, "I kinda, sorta, maybe, asked your dad already."

Mira's eyes widened, mouth opened in disbelief as she stared at him, not believing his words. He had her father's phone number? How and when did that happen? Why wasn't she aware of it? Her hand unknowingly slapped his torso, a dumbfounded expression plastered on her face.

"Are they together?" The older boy in the driver's seat inquired, looking at them through the rearview mirror. He watched them having a mini argument as a smile appeared on his lips. "Mhm. She's the one I told you about. Won's pretty overprotective," Jihye scoffed, crossing her arms, "It's kinda gross."

She ignored the glare Jungwon sent. "He won't even let me hang out with her. What kind of brother—"

The older boy laughed as he shook his head, "Ah, It's nice to meet you. I'm Choi Yeonjun, Jihye's boyfriend," The dark-haired boy introduced, pushing his spectacles up his nose.

-

JUNGWON:
Hello, sir. This is Yang Jungwon.
Sorry to interrupt your time and I
know it's a bit rude to ask, but can
Mira stay over at ours? It's heavily
raining and she couldn't go home.

MIRA'S DAD:
Jungwon! I hope my contact
name is as cool as what I named
you in my phone.

MIRA'S DAD:
Did Mira forget her umbrella?
Ah, that girl...

JUNGWON:
She did...

MIRA'S VERY COOL DAD:
Alright, let me ask my wife.

MIRA'S VERY COOL DAD:
She said yes. But make sure my
daughter is sleeping on the
couch tonight, okay?

JUNGWON:
Oh, I think she'll be staying
in my sister's room, sir.

MIRA'S VERY COOL DAD:
Is your couch comfy, son?

JUNGWON:
I guess-

MIRA'S VERY COOL DAD:
Then she's sleeping on the couch.
read, 03:37 PM.

Jeon Mira stared blankly at Jungwon's phone. Jungwon had decided to show his messages with her father to the girl just in case she doubted his statement regarding him having Mr. Jeon's number and him asking for permission. He looked at her, observing her blank expression.

Mira pursed her lips, reading the conversation again. She eyed her phone that was sitting on the bedside table, charging. With one swift movement, the girl grabbed it and opened her messages.

MIRA:
Really dad?

PARENT #2 (DAD):
What?
read, 05:24 PM.