Chap. 31

"Emmett's not here," Parker informed me, before knocking on the apartment door. "I'm going to kiss the shit out of her though, just so you're not uncomfortable."

"I'll get over it," I promised. "But don't you have a key?"

"It's better this way."

We waited a few more seconds before the door opened to reveal Emily.

She was wearing a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants, her hair tied back in a messy bun.

Her cheekbones looked sharper, her eyes sunk back a bit. But a smile spread across her face when she saw Parker standing in the doorway. "What are you doing here?"

He was holding a bouquet of sunflowers, and he offered her a crooked smile. "I couldn't miss an opportunity to surprise my favorite girl."

"Are these for me?"

"Of course," he agreed, before wrapping his arms around her neck, lifting her up off the ground and doing just as he promised.

I tried to hold back my sigh, glancing off towards the elevator as I waited for the two of them to finish.

"Well hello then," Emily said, once Parker set her back down on the floor.

"I just missed you," Parker said, with a smile. He wrapped his arm around her waist, leading her inside the apartment. "Do you have a vase for these poor flowers?"

"Probably," she agreed, heading into the kitchen.

"Did you guys have fun at the beach?" Emily asked, as she searched through one of the bottom cabinets.

"Sure did," I agreed, leaning against the counter.

"Pretty sure I'm burnt to a crisp though," Parker said, making a face.

"I'm pretty sure you'd burn with SPF 100," Emily said, standing back up and producing a vase.

"He did use SPF 100," I informed her.

Parker took the vase from her, filling it halfway with water before placing the flowers inside. "Almost as beautiful as you," he said, flashing her a smile.

"You're just full of it today, aren't you?" she asked.

"It's not every day that I get to see my girl."

Emily glanced down at the floor, and that's when I knew that she was having a tough time accepting his compliments.

Usually she'd be bantering back with him.

Parker noticed it too.

"So what are you up to?" Parker asked her.

"I was just doing some schoolwork," she said, looking back over at him. "Emmett's down at the shop, getting in some hours."

"He's been doing a lot of that lately, hasn't he?"

"You know Emmett, he can't accept anything from my parents."

Parker chuckled. "Well what would you say to going out with me tonight?"

Emily visibly swallowed. "Out where?"

"Where do you want to go?" Parker asked.

"I don't know babe, I'm really behind on my work."

"It's Saturday night on Thanksgiving break," Parker pointed out. "How behind could you be?"

She let out a long sigh, looking him in the eyes. "Want to go to a movie?"

"That's the least romantic thing I could think for us to do," Parker said, with a slight frown.