Chapter XX: Calamity

[TW: Manipulation, Knives]

~.~

"It's too late for apologies."

~.~

[Meanwhile]

"Huh...?" Takemichi muttered as he observed Mikey's jacket being blown back and forth by the wind. He had been listening to the blond commander's voice up until this point, hearing the tone of joy it contained.

"There's a new third-division captain to welcome," Mikey repeated, tucking his hands into his pockets as a huge smile was plastered onto his face.

Takemichi was stunned by the sudden announcement, as well as the expressions of Mitsuya, Smiley, and Mucho. Even though he had only been gone for a few days, a lot had happened in the interim. Nonetheless, he should have anticipated this. It wasn't long after Pah served a year in prison for his crimes that a potential runner-up took his place.

Who earned it, however, was the real mystery.

It couldn't be him...could it?

The blonde felt a lump in his throat as he followed Mikey to his enormous motorcycle, "Babu," and after climbing aboard, he made sure that not a sound was made until they arrived at the Musashi Shrine.

And, eventually, they made it.

As usual, a large group of members had formed a line to await the commander and vice commander's return. It was strange how they were unaffected by the cold and how the breeze almost burned the backs of their necks.

God knows it was affecting Takemichi.

And as he struggled to hide his shuddering, he closely followed behind the commander of Toman, almost feeling small compared to him. And the way everyone bowed to him? It was almost scary.

Takemichi took another gulp, clenched his fist, and dashed to join the rest of the Toman members in line, trying to ignore the odd looks he was still getting. He then dashed over to Mitsuya to divert his attention away from them, making sure to stay extremely close.

And with that, he returned his gaze to Mikey, who had taken his place on the Shrine's podium. And, as usual, he appeared to be a colossus in comparison to everyone else, and his tough demeanor only added to this impression.

Then, after taking his rightful place above the rest of Toman, Draken marched up to his side, his arms neatly placed behind his back as he took a deep inhale. Then, he spoke, his voice booming across the entire area, "We are here! To officially name! The new captain of the 3rd division!!"

Immediate murmurs are spread across the small crowd as everyone's heads turned to one another, sprouting out their guesses on who might be the one to fill Pah's empty spot.

"So who do you think is gonna get chosen...?"

"Peh maybe..."

"Yeah, not gonna happen. As if they'd pick the guy who attacked Draken."

Takemichi takes another big gulp before sweat beads form on his brow. He had every reason to be concerned; Pah's position was about to be filled, which meant that whoever was in charge of Toman would be working alongside Draken and Mikey. And who knows how that'll turn out...

He just prayed to whoever was listening that it wasn't who he was thinking it was...

"Captain of the Third Division! Take a step forward!! "Mikey yelled, immediately summoning the one who was supposed to take Pah's place. Everyone stiffened almost instantly out of sheer confusion. Even Takemichi wasn't sure if the order was directed at him or not.