Chapter 4

Serena

The reflection in the mirror is quite different today. I look worn out. My hand goes to the scar on the side of my head. I've realised I do that when I'm confused. Closing my eyes and taking a deep breathe, I exit the bathroom. Luca is still sound asleep. I pull the blankets upto his chin and kiss his forehead. Taking the file with the newly printed pages, I leave the room.

I couldn't sleep after everything I found out. My mind was running with ways I could handle this. I knew Luca would be sleeping in, considering it's saturday and he had no practice. So I decided to hit the gym.

After a 2 hour workout, I showered and made my way to the kitchen to make Luca's favorite breakfast. I also made him chocolate cupcakes and cookies with jam in the middle. Usually we would both be making these tomorrow for our Sunday Funday as he calls it. Sundays, when we both are free, are the days we cook and bake, go out, watch movies, do anything and everything. The one day I get to be his older sister rather than his guardian.

By the time I switch off the stove, it's already 10. That's when I hear him coming down the stairs. I turn around with a smile and see him staring at all the food on the kitchen counter with gleaming eyes. A chuckle escapes my mouth and he snaps his eyes towards me. I place the few chocolate chip cookies I made in another box and keep it aside. That's for someone else.

He lazily walks upto me and hugs me, putting all of his weight on me. I hug him back and run my hand through his hair. "Did you sleep well, bambino?" I ask like I always do when he hugs me in the mornings. All I get is hum from him and a nod of his head which is now in the crook of my neck. After a few seconds, he pulls back and looks at the food.

"Why so much food today? Not that I'm complaining." He asks as he walks and sits on the counter stool. The dining table is rarely used. We're used to eating on the counter. I go and sit opposite him.

"Coffee or juice?" I ask ignoring his question. He looks up at me and scrunchs his eyebrows but answers me nonetheless. I pour us coffee and make two plates. Luca stays silent and watches me. "Do you have to go into work tomorrow? Is that why you made all this today?" I look at his face which is trying hard to hide the disappointment ready to make an appearance. "No Luca, we are having Sunday Funday. Don't worry." He smiles but becomes confused again. "Then why all this?"

"I'll tell you. Start eating first." He starts stuffing his face with bacon. He looks like he can't decide what to eat. Watching him eat like a starved child is pure amusement for me. Well now it is. A few years back, it wasn't. I start eating slowly, to prolong this as much as I can.

We eat in silence, unlike most days. I can feel his eyes dart towards me as my grip on the fork tightens. But I keep eating. In 15 minutes, we are done. As Luca was reaching for the cupcakes, I took the paper on top of the pile from the file that I kept on the stool next to me and put it on the counter in between us, facing him. His attention leaves the cupcakes and focuses on the picture of the blue eyed, blonde haired baby first. I watch him closely. His eyebrows furrow a bit. Slowly he drags his eyes up to the big red bold letters. MISSING. His eyebrows furrow even further. Then finally he sees the name below the picture, in little black letters. Luca Esposito.

Confusion. Doubt. Realization.

Those three emotions washed through his face before he snapped his eyes towards mine. He didn't get to ask for an explanation before I started talking.