Sixty-One

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

They say you don't know what you had until it's gone.

But as I woke up this morning, my heart cracked a little seeing Rory's side of the room empty. She left late last night. Of course, her father didn't have the balls to show up on campus here, she had to escort herself off of campus.

I felt like the biggest jackass but I am glad I was able to give her somewhat of the college experience that she had desired. Most of all, I'm glad that she was the person I had picked to give my friendship to for the first time since Blaise.

I didn't give that crazy bitch enough credit.

Sure, she read my journals and yeah, she might have pestered me– but she was the first person to tell me good morning and bring me a coffee. She was also the first person to allow me to shower first (because Stella never let me shower first). I'd miss Rory.

It would be weird without her here for the rest of the semester. I was actually close to inviting her to my family's thanksgiving dinner. I didn't have anyone to dress up with now for Halloween. She was gone.

And my room was now silent.

I guess for most college students this would be a dream. A room all to yourself but now more than ever I miss there was noise. I wish I heard her talking in her sleep. I wish I could hear her alarm going off at four-thirty in the morning– not to go to pilates, but for her to act as if she were a University of Pennsylvania, Ivy league medical student.

So I decided to do something for Rory.

Something that she couldn't do now because she was gone.

I stood up quickly. Too quickly because I felt myself become dizzy but once I regained my balance, I made a mad dash to get ready. My phone was buzzing on my nightstand and I ignored it as I quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth. I pulled my hair up into a ponytail and ditched the contacts for the day considering that my eyes already felt dry and irritated.

My phone vibrated again as I sprayed perfume on me.

I sighed quickly, reaching to answer it, the speakerphone automatically turning on.