xxvi.

NICOLAS' POV

"You have a problem." Vincenzo remarks as he slips into the seat in front of me. I narrow my eyes at him as I gently swirl the glass of bourbon in my hand. My brother and I have a complicated relationship at times. He's my other half, but he's also a pain in my ass. In fact, if there's anyone that I ever feel like stabbing, it's usually him.

Mostly because he's never wrong.

"Don't look at me like that. This is ridiculous, Nicolas. You're pussy whipped," he grabs the glass from my hand, chugging down the bourbon in one large gulp. "To make matters worse, you're starting to make it obvious. Are you even trying to pretend you don't care?" 

I let out a faltered breath, making fists with my hands to prevent myself from acting out. I won't attack him or anything, but I do have a bit of a temper, and we're in public, seated at a booth in my club. "Fuck off, Vince," I mutter under my breath. 

He's right. Every day I spend with Giulia makes it harder not to think of her, and thinking of her is distracting. Last night, we went out for some pizza, and people definitely managed to get photographs of us. I'm not one to spend much time out in public apart from at parties and club events, so me stepping out with my bride to be was definitely attention worthy for them. 

"You need to lay off. You haven't even fucked her, and you are constantly pining for her," he snaps his fingers, getting the attention of some bottle girls to get us some more alcohol. I'll need some to tolerate these comments. Maybe a lot. 

Even though he's right. He's absolutely right. It makes me look weaker than I am, especially in a territory that will become my own rival, when I move to Chicago. It's inevitable that people will think of me as their enemy, people who used to be my own men, but it will likely end up happening one day. There eventually comes a time that war breaks out, and showing my weakness for her makes me look bad. And risks her life. 

"What can I get you today?" a tall blonde, comes up to us, practically naked if it weren't for the small bikini like top covering her tits, and the very tiny shorts that might as well be underwear, covering her. She flashes us a smile, her gaze floating from Vince to me, and focusing on me. This is pretty common, considering everyone knows I'm in charge here. Women love us, but they especially love me. It's what comes with the authority. I never really minded it. I'm not one for hooking up with random girls, but I've definitely taken advantages of the benefits over the years, on occasion. 

But for some reason, I'm not at all interested or attracted to her, even as she tries to further show her tight body off to me. I glance away, noticing the look on my brother's face that is practically saying 'I told you so' without the words coming from his lips. I clench my jaw, shaking my head at him, about to request some more liquor.

"Bring a bottle, and bring some of your friends over here," Vince butts in before I can respond to her, nodding his head over to where a few other bottle girls are waiting by the bar, already looking at us. They immediately perk up as soon as they notice our eyes on them, and I snap my head back at Vince as the blonde hurries off, clearly satisfied by the attention she just received. 

"What the hell are you doing?" I snap, livid now. I'm not in the mood to entertain women right now, especially not these women. Trust me, I love the ladies, but this is definitely not the type of night I'm in the mood for. Vincenzo knows that, and he's pushing my buttons. 

"You need to show who's still boss around here. You don't have much longer, and if you want to show your strength, make sure you do it correctly. The men know you're strong, but if they figure out your true weakness, they'll use it against you," he relaxes in the booth, and I bite my tongue from saying the wrong thing. Because if anyone needs to show their strength, it's him. He's going to be in charge here soon, and I don't know if I can confidently say that they'll listen to him over me. 

There will definitely be a power struggle. No matter how well I've set him up. There always is, especially with Angelo set to take over as Don soon. Everyone knows we have unaddressed problems with Angelo. It's obvious. We've suffered, and it will only be worse when both of them transition into their new roles. 

"Are you sure I'm the problem?" 

"Absolutely. I'm ready for this, Nicolas. You've made sure of that. Now maybe get your head out of Giulia's ass, and get your shit together. You've never once turned down a night of fun, and suddenly you can't wait to get home to her? She's making you look weak against your own enemy," Vincenzo doesn't hold back, making it clear that he's not just talking about Angelo as my enemy, but himself. 

The reminder that we are going to be leaders in different ruling territories is grueling. We've known this for years, and I still can't imagine the day that he won't be by my side. My eyes remain glued to his as two glasses with ice are placed down in front of us, dark amber liquid poured into them by the blonde as her friends slip into the booth on either sides of us. 

Vincenzo is right. I'm spending precious time that I could be spending with them by spending it with Giulia. People are constantly watching what I'm doing. And everything I do while I am here sets precedence for what I will do in Chicago. The type of leader that I'll be. 

This is my practice round, and I'm letting everything go over her. 

"Drink up. We can call this our version of your bachelor party," Vincenzo cocks a brow at me as he picks up a glass, waiting for me to raise my own. I pause for only a moment before picking up the other glass, holding it up before downing the liquid at the same time as much younger brother. 

I know that I'm walking on thin ice. But I have a choice. Walk on thin ice with my authority and pride or do it with the woman that I'll spend the rest of my life with regardless of the choices I make. Because I don't have a choice when it comes to her. Our marriage is the one thing that's guaranteed. But my relationship with my brothers? There's a chance that I'll never see them again if things ever go to shit, and knowing Angelo? He'll make sure they do. 

- - -

hi friends :) I've missed you all so very much. I am so sorry for the delays. I was going through some stuff, having a hard time writing, but I have so many new ideas for this one. I'm so excited. 

thanks for all the support on this book. so many reads and votes. I am honored. <3