Chapter 4

"Back in the nineteenth century it was an insane asylum." Harry's eyes widened in disbelief. "I'm completely kidding. It was built sometime in the 1950's." He slumped back in his chair, throwing his napkin onto his plate in defeat. He'd asked about my apartment building. He was probably expected some elaborate back story but there really isn't one.

"I'm slightly disappointed, I'm not gonna lie." I laughed, wiping my mouth with my napkin. Harry had driven us to a small diner in town. It was a cute little place with an 80's theme. The waitresses were all dressed appropriately with beehive hairstyles and dresses that fell just past their knees. We ate subs with slabs of turkey, lettuce and tomatoes, upon a waitresses recommendation. And it was delicious.

"This is one heck of a parent-teacher conference." Harry said after a beat of silence. I rolled my eyes, wondering how much longer I could act like I had no interest at all. It was becoming increasingly difficult to keep up the professional act.

"Still not a date." I said, leaning back in the red leather booth.

"Come on, Piper-Jane. What do I have to do?" He raised an eyebrow at me. "I'm already buying you a perfectly good dinner-"

"It was great actually." I said interrupting him.

"Seriously, what do I have to do?" I sighed, looking at my empty plate for a good couple of seconds.

"As long as you're daughter is in my class, my hands are tied." He cringed, taking on a look of faked pain. He glanced at his phone, checking the time before putting some money on the table. He stood up, holding his hand out. I took it, not expecting him to keep a grip on it, lacing his fingers through mine. "Where are we going?" I asked as he held the diner door open for me.

"We are going for a walk."

"I'm not gonna end up on one of those crime shows, am I? You know the ones where they try to solve the murders of young women killed by the men they were with?" He crinkled up his nose as he slowed to a comfortable pace.

"We'll see." My jaw dropped in mock surprise. "Don't worry I won't do anything that will make a mess."

"What a gentlemen.'

"Hey, I can't go to jail, I have a daughter to think about." I rolled my eyes as he chuckled. We ended up walking in a park, illuminated by streetlamps. Most of the flowers had died off, leaving the rich evergreens behind.

There was a little playground for kids, complete with a set of swings and a slide. Other than that fairly new addition, it was a historic park. There was a bronze statue of some war hero in the middle, the path diverging around it, a bronze plaque chronicled the man's vast achievements. The walkway lined the shore of a small lake that reflected the color of the trees in the fading light. It was beautiful.

"I take Aubrey here sometimes. She likes to sit on the benches and draw the scenery. She's got a real eye for art." I nodded, remembering the doodles that always seemed to pop up on the side of Aubrey's worksheets and covering her homework. I stepped onto the small lip of the walkway, using it as a balancing beam. The extra six inches put me on a level playing field with Harry, finally, I could look him in the eye. He looked out over the water. The fading light caused shadows on his jawline, further etching his features, like a statue in a museum.

"So Piper-Jane, what made you want to spend your days teaching children basic math?" He said, raising his hand to help me balance. I thought for a second, looking down at my necklace.

"My mom was a teacher and I would go and help her out when I didn't have school and I don't know. I just liked it. It seemed... gratifying." He nodded, taking in my answer, even if it wasn't the whole truth. "Why did you become a professor?"