Chapter 5

"Has everything done?"my mother asked while arranging things in our home temple.

"yes. As we are not going to do a lot so it's almost done." told her.

" I hope you have not made anything special otherwise your Papa will go mad." my mother said while being scared of my father's reaction. Actually, he has decided that we are not going to celebrate any of the festival coming in this year. Mrs Chauhan has just passed away. This is why he wanted us to perform all the rituals which is supposed to be performed by family members.

" How can I miss that part?" I assured my mother

"I had never imagined that Puja wouldn't be with us on some Diwali." my mother exclaimed. She is right. My younger sister, puja is so much fond of Holi and Diwali. We have not called her back from the hostel this year for Diwali holidays. if she was here then she would have torn our ears asking about the reasons of us not celebrating.

"it's ok mummy. If she was here then we wouldn't have been able to make her understand that why are not we celebrating it." I was arranging thali.

" You are right. One word of this approval from our mouth and here she goes with her tantrums." My mother has always very fed up of my my dear little naughty sister. She is exactly opposite of me. I was a kind of kid who used to follow every instructions and rules but she, she is something to watch out. God knows, did she get this stubbornness from!

"exactly." I agreed.

"I still can't believe that Mrs Chauhan is not with us. It feels like yesterday only she was celebrating Diwali with us. She used to laugh a lot. She was too young for her age. How could we think last year that she won't be with us." My mother has been missing Mrs Chauhan a lot lately. Whatever she does, it reminds her of her good time with Mrs Chauhan.

Everyone thinks that she was a very bubbly lady but I have seen her real self. A self aware she was all alone and sad. She had put a Mask of happiness on her face so that no one could see her real grief.

"I have done all the the dinner preparations. We shall do Diwali Puja han and then have dinner." I avoided this topic not because I didn't want to talk about her but talking about her brings tears to my eyes.

"sounds good." She nodded.

I left her there and went to papa who was sitting in hall watching TV.

"papa. come. Join us for Pooja." I told him.

"sure sure. You go. Let me switch off the TV first." he said getting attentive.

"ok. Come quickly."
_________________
After completing Puja and all. We gathered to have dinner on dining table.

"what are you doing?" my mother objected as my father stretched his hand towards curry which was very spicy.

"its Diwali. can't I have even a bit?" he pleaded.

"who had said that we are not celebrating Diwali this year aur any other festival." mother reminded him his words.

"ok. I understand. But that is a different thing to do. I mean since I don't eat these stuff all year. Can't I have a one special day?" He was behaving like a child.

"how many special days will you have in a year for eating these stuff? You should learn something from your daughter. Doctor has asked her to refrain from everything which could harm her health. She is obediently following everything but you. Just need one chance to spoil your health. I am telling you I shall not take care of you if anything goes wrong this time." I really don't understand that why why she pretends to be strict when she can't.