Chapter Twenty-Five

Harper

When morning comes, I'm exhausted from the lack of sleep; I was up most of the night throwing up.

Binaca heard me at seven this morning and tried to tell me to stay in bed, but I couldn't. I want to spend time with Gabriel.

There's a knock on my bedroom door, and Matteo walks in with a glass of water and some ginger biscuits.

I wrap the towel tightly around my body. "Bianca told me you were throwing up most of the night; I wanted to come in and see how you were. Gabriel is having breakfast with my mother and father; I was going to wait for you, and I know I should have, but as soon as she said you were sick, I thought it would be best to leave you a while. My mother said this should settle your stomach. You should try to eat."

I take them from his hand and place them on the dresser. "Thank you," he nods as his hazel eyes take my body in hungrily. "I should go see if my mother needs any help." He clears his throat before walking out; I try to hide my smile as I watch him leave. It was obvious he was hard from the growing bulge in his trousers, but I'm thankful he didn't try anything, and he listened to what I said by giving me space.

Twenty minutes later, I'm dressed and making my way downstairs. I stop and watch the scene in front of me, and I can't help but smile.

Gabriel is sitting on Matteo's knee with a stuffed animal while Matteo is watching videos on how to sign. Gabriel keeps glancing up at Matteo every now and then and smiling, and my heart melts.

I clear my throat, and Matteo shuts the laptop. "Are you feeling better, Angel?" I take a seat next to them both and pull Gabriel onto my knee.

He frowns up at me, still a little unsure but doesn't do anything. I kiss his little mop of dark hair. "Yeah, a little better, thanks; he's going to need a haircut soon."

He does need a haircut; I doubt he had one before, but I rather not push him into one anytime soon. I know from him meeting me he was scared. What will he be like having his hair cut?

"My mother mentioned that, too; she was going to book him in, but I don't think it's a good idea. He isn't good with new people." I nod as his mother walks in. She gives me a small smile. "Are we talking about my grandbabies hair?" She walks over and removes it from his eyes.

I smile back at her. I don't want to make this awkward for everyone living here. "Yes, I was talking about getting it cut." Her face lights up as she takes a seat opposite us.

"He already looks so much like Matteo, but I can imagine with the same style, they will look like twins." I bite back a laugh just as Matteo's phone starts ringing.

"I'll be back in a moment." I nod as I watch him walk away. "Are you nervous about what the doctor will say?" Sofia says, bringing my attention back to her.

"Honestly, yes, I am. I'll never forgive myself if it's bad news." Her face softens.

"Harper, none of this was your fault, none of it. It was all down to Adriana. You are not to blame."

But I am to blame. I should have known my body. I should have known I was pregnant, and I didn't. If I did, then I would have left that hell hall a long time ago.

"Dear, I know where your mind is going, and you can't blame yourself. Are you listening to me? Let me tell you a little story that I haven't told anyone before, not even my husband." She looks lost in a memory.

"It was nine ago. I was forty-eight at the time, so I thought I had started menopause. Little did I know this old girl still had it in her to get knocked up." I gasped; I didn't expect those words to come out of her mouth.