Chapter 21

Saturday 22nd November, 1976

The next day, my mind had decided deliberating over the werewolf topic was more important than Regulus, and so that was what I thought about all morning. It was a student; Regulus and I had both agreed on that last night. So who could it be? I'd never noticed a werewolf at school before, so could it be a first or second year? Or was I just oblivious, and this person had been around for way longer, maybe even in my year?

I was discombobulated at breakfast, my mind fixed firmly upon werewolves as I put sugar in my coffee. I tried to recall all that I knew about werewolves. They were extremely dangerous on full moons when they were transformed, but completely normal human beings every other day of the month. So really, it could be anyone here.

I took a sip of my coffee, instantly coughing and spluttering when a salty taste filled my mouth. I scrunched my nose up at the liquid, wondering why it tasted like that until I noticed the salt jar next to my plate. I had put salt in my coffee, not sugar. I frowned, annoyed, and wondered where the marauders were. They hadn't been in the Common Room last night, so my guess was they did a prank.

My mind strayed from werewolves to Regulus Black, most likely the only topic that could distract me from the werewolf currently inhabiting our school. I thought about how I felt when I was around him; how my heart seemed to leap out of my chest at every look he gave me; how my stomach did somersaults whenever he smiled my way.

It was confusing, because I'd hated him since first year, yet somehow my feelings towards him had changed. When had it happened? What did it mean for me? For us? I wasn't sure, and I didn't know if I wanted the answers or not.

"Hey, do you want to study with me today?" Lily asked me.

I nodded my head, thinking about my upcoming O.W.L.s next year. It definitely wouldn't hurt to get a head start on them now, as well as the pile of homework I needed to complete by Monday, including potions work.

Lily and I headed to the library, finding a secluded enough desk near the back. We studied for a bit, and I was just speaking when Regulus walked into the library, catching my eye, and I trailed off whatever I was saying.

Lily smiled knowingly, making up a flimsy excuse and packing up her stuff and leaving just as Regulus and I made eye contact. When Regulus noticed the empty seat he walked up and sat down in the chair across from me

We stared at each other in an uncomfortable silence, both of us unsure of what to do. Finally, Regulus spoke.

"So, who do you think the werewolf is?"

I looked around, my eyes passing over every student I saw wondering if they were the werewolf we saw last night. I eventually shrugged, looking back at Regulus.

"I don't know," I answered. "It could be anyone."

Regulus nodded, his eyes also darting to the students nearby before landing back on me. I tried not to squirm, feeling suddenly hot under his gaze.

"What are you studying?" he asked, looking at the books scattered across the desk.

I huffed, knowing it was too late to hide it and let his eyes scan my work, revealing my struggle with potions. I was good at making potions mostly, it was just the theory that messed me up.

"Don't judge," I muttered, averting my eyes from his.

"If you need help with potions, I'm right here," Regulus offered casually.

My eyes widened as I looked at the boy in front of me. His also widened, as if he just realised what he'd offered.

"You'd help me?" I asked incredulously.