Prologue

"When the fates of gods and mortals intertwine, legends are born..."
-Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

A/N:

Hello and welcome to my novelization of The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time. Given how many novelizations there are of this awesome game, I have taken some liberties with this story. Regardless of what a certain annoying owl by the name of Kaepora Gaebora might say, this is not a standard repeat of the story, and the plot will not play out exactly as it does in the game. All the major and minor characters from Ocarina of Time will still appear and their roles in the story haven't been changed.

To listen to the audiobook version of the story, click on the video above to view it on YouTube. If you'd rather listen to it on your favourite podcast player, you'll find a link in the video description. Alternatively, and because Wattpad won't allow me to include the URL, copy the following into a search engine and you should find a link to your favourite podcast player:

the legend of Zelda audiobook productions DragonRand100

Without further ado, I hope you enjoy this story.

*Cover by ImberLapis at Wattpad

Prologue

This is but one of the tales of which the people speak: a story of an ancient land with verdant meadows, lush forests, and tall mountains – a land blessed by the Goddesses, where the powers of light and shadow exist in perfect balance. It tells the story of a king who sought to control the power of the Goddesses. It is the story of a boy without a fairy, who rose above trial and tribulation to take his place amongst legends. It is a tale that, through generations, became memory. With the turning of Time's Wheel, memory faded to legend, and even legend became a whisper, riding upon the winds of time...

Navi, the fairy, watched as a comet blazed across the heavens above her home. It streaked through the darkening sky, high above the kingdom of Hyrule, its tail spreading far behind it, blazing like the curling tongue of a dragon's fire. It was nearly half the size of the moon and just as bright.

Those who lived beyond the forest viewed a comet as an omen of evil. Navi didn't understand why; it was nothing more than a star passing by on its journey through the heavens and into the realms beyond. Yet amidst the populace of Hyrule, it was a messenger of the gods, a bringer of dark tidings.

Navi wasn't surprised by this. Her leafy abode, the Lost Woods, inspired just as much fear as the herald that blazed across the starlit sky. So great was the fear of unseen horrors lurking among the trees that most people wouldn't dare go near the ancient woodlands.

To the Gerudo, who hailed from the desert in Hyrule's west, the woods were a place of shadows, where the trees grew thick and their heavy boughs intertwined, blotting out the sun. To the Hylians, it was a place of mystery, where monsters lurked and the spirits of old roamed, guarding their sacred groves. But to Navi, her people, and the Kokiri folk, the woods were home.

The Kokiri were a legend amongst the people of Hyrule. Their existence was debated among Hylian scholars, for it had been centuries since anybody had actually seen one. It was known that the oldest Kokiri, despite being hundreds of years old, looked no older than twelve. For this reason, many Hylians called them the children of the forest. Despite their youthful appearance, most of the Kokiri would never appreciate being called a child.

As dusk fell, the jubilant melody of their songs would hum through the ancient groves they called home. Each of these groves was presided over by a spirit that took the form of a Great Deku Tree.