Chapter Twenty Six

Harper

I try to take in Gino's words, but I can't. This can't be happening; how can this happen?

"Matteo, please tell me he's lying. You told me there was no way they could escape. So how did they get out?"

I feel dizzy. This has to be a nightmare. I can't deal with this. Gabriel needs my full attention. He has to have surgery.

"Harper, listen to me, Angel; sit down for a minute. You're looking a little pale. This can't be good for the baby. You can't be stressing yourself out. Take deep breaths. That's it, in and out. You're doing amazing. Gino, get me some water, please."

I need some fresh air. I need to get out of here. I can't be in a stuffy hospital. "Can we go home, please?" Matteo looks at me with a pained experience on his face.

"Angel, the thing is, Holly knows where this house is. She lived here with me. We need to move you to a safe house. I have no doubt that this is an inside job. Some of my men weren't happy when they found out that I had a son with a disability. I thought I killed whoever wasn't happy, but I guess some were too cowardly to admit. In this world, it doesn't go well. I have my reasons to believe that this is why they have done it. The only people that will know of your whereabouts are my closest men and family. Gabriel will go ahead with his surgery, but Angel, you'll have to do this alone until I find Adriana and Holly."

A tear falls, having to do this alone, but I know it's the safest way. "Promise me you won't kill Adriana. I don't care what you do with Holly, but I want to be the one to kill her after what she did to our son and me." He kisses my head. "I promise you, Angel, I will leave her for you."

How is it that I've only just got him back, and again he's being ripped away from me?

"How long?" These are the only words I can manage to get out before my voice ends up breaking, and I know he hears it.

"Angel," he sighs, and I know this will kill him being away from Gabriel. "As long as it takes to keep both of you safe." Does he not know that I don't need him to keep me safe? I'm strong enough to do that myself.

"Matteo, I don't want to run from them. We need to stay and fight. Let me help you." He looks down at our son and shakes his head.

"No, Angel. It's not that you're running away from them. You are keeping our family safe. You are pregnant; we have a little boy that needs surgery. He needs your full attention, not Adriana or Holly. So what you are going to do is walk out of here with your head held high with our little boy. You are not going to think about Adrina or Holly. You are going to concentrate on yourself and our son and make sure you eat something you need to keep your strength up for our little baby growing inside you. I'm going to hire a nurse to move in who is also a trained midwife that way; I know you'll be ok. I'll explain everything to Doctor Barton and move him to a different hospital. I'll pass the details on to Gino, who will be staying by your side the whole time. Now I want you to kiss the fuck out of me before I watch that perfect ass walk out of here."

He grabs me by the back of my neck before slamming me into him. My mouth meets his, and I moan instantly; our tongues meet. I grip his shirt tightly, holding him in place. I can feel him growing hard against me. When we finally pull apart, we are breathless.

I touch my swollen lips as he kneels down next to Gabriel. "I'm going to miss you, little man; take care of your mummy. I love you." Gabriel smiles brightly at Matteo.