Chapter 25

Angel hugged Lafayette as soon as they walked into the sitting room. They embraced tightly, both feeling a calm sense of relief at being near each other.

Though they were always a bit different in personality and temperament, they were still twins. Being near the other had always helped keep them both calm. 

Angel swiftly pulled away, her face twisted up. She stepped back quickly, her hands balled up into fists. There was suddenly a soft throat clearing and Lafayette swiftly looked to the back of the room, where her brother-in-law, Viktor stood.

His deep voice mixed with his Russian accent was gentle as he said, "Moya lyubov, be calm. Hello, Faye."

Angel began to pace. "Father's coming and he brought everyone!"

Lafayette paled, "Everyone?"

Angel stopped pacing, pointing a finger at Nicholas who stood behind Faye, not quite touching her but close enough to lean into her if he wished.

She wrung her hands together in front of her, nibbling her lips, "Even mum is with him!"

Lafayette grabbed her sister by the shoulder's, "What do you mean, everyone?"

"Uncle Aiden and uncle Adam and bloody aunt Jewel! They're on there way here right now! I found out what they were planning to do so we left a few days before they did. You've gone and caused the craziest rage! If I weren't worried, I'd actually be impressed. "

"What are they planning to do?" Lafayette shrieked, her body stepping backward, bumping into Nicholas's frame as if subconsciously seeking him. He slid an arm around her waist, leaning down to brush his lips against the top of her head.

Angel tsked before noticing the obvious display of affection. She crossed her arms over her chest, unable to help the slight smirk that hit her lips at the scene. "You know, I should be much more angry with you! But, you won in the end. You're not the first Hugh to find love in the most ridiculous way." 

She sighed before continuing, "Father said he'll dear, Nicky here, two choices: pistol duel or fisticuffs..."

Lafayette stiffened, "Pistol duel? But they could both die!"

Viktor walked up to stand near Angel, his arm wrapping around her waist. "If you choice fisticuffs, it will be to the bloody death! I've never seen him that angry, Faye! Mum even tried to reason with him and you know she can't stand Nicholas. The look in his eyes was murderous. He wanted to leave the very next Leo arrived with the letter. But everyone held him back, trying to force him to see reason."

"But why is everyone else here?" Lafayette asked dejectedly.

"To make sure father doesn't kill Nicholas and himself. I came to give you a heads up. You had to know, or at least prepare for the hell that's coming."

Nicholas stepped back, moving away from Lafayette as he turned to head toward the door. "Wait, where are you going? We have to hide you or think of a plan!"

He gripped her shoulder's before kissing her fiercely on the lips. "Breathe, Faye. I knew this was coming. I knew it the moment I realized I couldn't keep my hands off of you. He's my best friend, he was never going to take this lightly, darling. It's alright." He kissed her on the forehead before heading toward the door. "I'll have the back lawn prepared for a fisticuffs match."

Viktor excused himself as well, following behind Nicholas, offering to help.

The door closed behind them, Lafayette turning to her sister with tears in her eyes, one hand on her stomach, the other covering her mouth in shock as they stared at each other.

"What have I done?" She cried before Angel ran toward her and wrapped her in a hug. 

"You fell in love in the most ridiculous way. It's the Hugh's of glory."

Lafayette cried harder, "This is awful! Their going to kill each other!" She pulled away from her sister, both hands on her stomach now as she nibbled her bottom lip.

Angel noticed and her eyes grew wide, "Faye? Are you pregnant?"

Lafayette stopped pacing, "Didn't you know?"

She chuckled, "Of course not, Leo left that part out. Probably trying to help, you know how he is."

"So... none of them know?" She blanched.

"No but, it may help."

"I can't tell our father I'm pregnant, not when he's this angry! He'll really shoot Nicholas dead."

Angel sighed, suddenly walking forward and grabbing Lafayette's hands in hers, "Or he'll stop to think about what he's doing. It'll knocked a moments clarity in him. What else do you have to lose at this point? If something isn't done, one of them really will die!"

Before she could answer the door flew open, Pearl standing in the door way, her bonnet sliding off her head. She opened her mouth to speak but several loud familiar voices began to shout and echo into the room.