Chapter 26

Nicholas fell back as Andrew drew his arm back and punched him square in the face. He landed on the bottom steps of the stairs. He gripped his bleeding nose and winced when his hand came into contact with it. It felt as if it were broken.

"As long as I've known you, you've always been a bit ditzy but this? This is by far the stupidest thing you could have done." Andrew snapped. 

Nicholas looked up at his best friend, his eyes assessing the murderous glint in his eyes and the rigid stance he was in. He wiped at the blood dripping down his face and grimaced, "You think I don't know that?  I'll be the first one to admit I'm an idiot but falling in love with Lafayette was not planned and nor was it a mistake."

Andrew snarled, "You know why I'm here, and I have not only every right to challenge you but to kill you as well!"

"Andrew! Enough!" Hany snapped as she walked forward, pulling him back by the arm to allow room for Nicholas to stand up.

He continued to wipe at his still dripping nose, his expression grim. "I'm well aware of why you're here."

"I was going to be fair and give you an option but now that I've bloody well seen you, I'm much angrier than I thought. Beating you to death would be a waste of my time, you've always been terrible at sparing, and it would not satisfy to have to spend an hour pummeling you. We will have a pistol duel! Now!"

Hany gasped, "You will do no such thin-," he cut her off, grabbing her by the arms, "I won't have another word from you, woman! You will do as I say, Hany Hugh or so help me!"

He had nearly lifted her off the ground before he stepped away as if realizing what he had done. He grit his teeth and turned toward the entrance, shrugging off his jacket and rolling up his sleeves. "Aiden, get me my pistol! We do this now!"

Nearest to the door were Aiden and Jewel, each staring at their brother in disbelief. No one had ever seen Andrew this angry. He was always a jovial kind of man, quicker to say a joke or to laugh. But the aura of dark intent was almost electric as he stomped past them, shouting once more, "Let's go!"

Aiden frowned, giving Jewel a gentle squeeze on the arm before following after Andrew.

Jewel tsked, before walking fully into the foyer, and straight to Hany. She cooed over Hany, looking her over to make sure she was alright. "If he doesn't get himself killed, I'll be sure to gut him like a fish. How dare he berate you! He's lost his damn mind."

As if just remembering that Nicholas was still present they both turned to look at him. He was talking to his butler, and telling the maids prepare his pistol. He was holding a handkerchief to his nose, which was slightly twisted and turning a ghastly black and blue.

"And you!" Jewel accused, pointing a finger at him. "I should bloody well curse you and your whole existence! Look what you've done!"

Nicholas sighed, "I didn't ask to love her, you know. But I do. I love her. The way that things have transpired is wrong but I won't apologize for loving her. I can't."

Lafayette's voice rang down, "I love you too! I always have!"

All eyes fell on her as she ran down the stairs with Angel close behind. As she neared him she gasped at the sight of his nose. "Oh, God... he didn't..." 

"I should box your ears for this Lafayette!" Hany said, garnering stiff backs throughout the space. "How could you go off and elope without a single words notice? You could have told me! I wouldn't have been thrilled you chose Nicholas but I wouldn't have denied you your right to choose!"

Lafayette winced, wringing her hands together as she made it to the bottom of the stairs. "It wasn't that I didn't want you to know. I just to find love without any interference. I want to win him myself. This wasn't on purpose. You know what love is like. It doesn't wait for approval. You taught us that."

Hany frowned even more but released a breath. "It doesn't matter now. You want him, and judging by what you've said, you love him. I can't deny you that but if you want a husband that is still breathing we need to figure something out. Your father can't do this, he may be angry now but if he goes through with this and succeeds he'll never forgive himself. I won't have it!"

Jewel crossed her arms, "I do hope you have a good pistol arm. Andrew is a great shot. And although I do think you deserve a good kick in the pants, I don't want my brother to kill you or himself. We need solutions!"

Angel nudged her forward, "Tell them."

"Oh, God, what else could there be?" Hany urged.

Lafayette placed both hands on her stomach and watched as her mother and aunt realized. They both hissed in a breath, "You're pregnant?"

"Good grief, your father will completely lose it!" Hany exclaimed, placing a hand to her head and the other on her hip. 

Before anymore could be said, a footman and a maid walked forward, holding an open box filled with three pistols. Lafayette held her breath as she watched Nicholas choose the pistol that best fit his hand.

"You can't!" She said as she grabbed his arm. 

"There is no choice, Faye. It was always going to come to this."

She couldn't stop him as he walked out of the doors, headed for the duel. All of the women gave each other rigid looks as they prepared to follow.

"We have to tell him!" Angel suggested once more.

Hany wrapped an around around Lafayette as they moved toward the doors, "It won't help."