Chapter 27

Lafayette met her father's eyes and she saw nothing but raw emotion in them. His entire body was standing straight and rigid with anger.

"Please, don't do this," she said, watching as placed the bullets in the gun's channels. He pressed his lips into a hard line as he looked at her. Hurt flickered into his gaze for a moment before the sound of Nicholas snapping the chamber of his pistol closed drew his attention once more.

"Ten paces forward and three rounds. Equally timed shot. If no one is shot in the three rounds, we switch to fisticuffs. But I can assure you, I won't miss." Andrew hissed.

Nicholas nodded, his face grim, "Before we do this, Andrew, you have to know that I would never do anything like this to betray your confidence on purpose. And I know you're angry and this won't help but I love Lafayette, and I won't be sorry for it. Not even if you hate me. I recall a time when you were so in love you whisked a woman away in order to have her. Just like you felt no shame, neither will I."

Andrew narrowed his eyes, "Ten paces. Now."

Aiden stepped forward, "Andrew, you can't really mean this."

Andrew merely gave him a look before beginning to count from one to ten. The two men took their steps before getting into formation and raising their pistols. They turned, facing each other as they pointed their guns.

Lafayette's heart sunk, Angel turned into Viktor's chest, squeezing her eyes shut. Hany clung to Jewel, everyone held their breath as the first shot rang out.

Faye screamed, as her eyes fell on Nicholas, her heart pounding so loud all other noise disappeared except the sound of the bullets. Nicholas didn't fall and her relief was instantaneous until she whipped her head around to glance at her father. When she realized he was still standing, the breath she had been holding exhaled.

Suddenly Andrew snarled, "You're not even going to give me the satisfaction of shooting back?"

Lafayette's eyes widened. 

"I won't shoot you, Andrew. This is utterly ridiculous. I won't do it. If you're here to kill me. Bloody well get it done with."

Andrew raised his pistol again, his arm straight as he aimed. Lafayette could take no more and so jumped in front of Nicholas, screaming, "Wait! Don't! Please! I love him and... and  I'm pregnant!"

Andrew's finger was already on the trigger and just as he pulled it he was tackled by Aiden, the both of them landing on the ground with a thud, the bullet straying far off to the right, disappearing somewhere in the wooded area.

Screams were all around, time felt as if it stood still.

Nicholas pulled Lafayette back, shaking her vigorously. "What are you doing! You could have gotten yourself killed! Don't you ever do something so reckless again!"

Lafayette opened her mouth as if to speak but suddenly the world looked blurry and she felt wetness between her legs. She reached her arms out for him as she felt herself falling forward. He caught her quickly, pulling her up and into his arms.

"Lafayette!" Was the last thing she heard before she blacked out to the image of worried faces.

----------------------------------------------------

Lafayette awoke on and off. Feverish, sweaty, and in so much pain. Her abdomen felt as if it were being beaten. Her head pounding, and her hands constantly being held.

There was soft cooing to her, whispers of gentle caresses of love. 

She enjoyed that voice. She knew that voice. She loved that voice! 

Her eyes fell open on first light the next morning. She groaned as she rubbed her aching head before being hugged so quickly she gasped. 

And then she was being kissed, so passionately and so suddenly she could do nothing but cling onto the man before her. Nicholas showered her face in affection, whispering, "I love you, you're ok," fiercely while he embraced her.

She pushed him away a bit, her eyes roaming over him head to toe. "I'm alright, besides I'm not  the one lying in this bed."

She scoffed, "I'm glad."

She was silent for a moment before saying, "He was really going to kill you..."

Hurt flashed in Nicholas' eyes for a moment before it went away. "I expected no less. But I wasn't worried about my life."

"You should have been worried! What about our baby! What about me, damn you!" She snapped as she began to cry. "I love my father but Nicholas I love you too! I need you."

Realization hit her and her hands flew to her stomach. She remembered the feeling of wetness between her legs before she fainted. As if reading her mind, he cupped her face in his hands, "The baby is fine. The doctor assured us it was stress bleeding. He advised you stay in bed for the next few days."

Relief washed over her and she sank back against him.

He hugged her close, "You honestly think I would have let myself leave you? After I finally have you? Have you no faith in me at all?"

His words made her huff but she fell into his embrace regardless until a voice interrupted.

"I wasn't going to really kill you. Just wound you at best, old chap."

The two of them jumped apart like two children caught stealing. Andrew stood, leaning against the door frame, his arms crossed. 

Nicholas rolled his eyes, "Like hell you weren't going to try to kill me. I wouldn't have died, just so you know."

Andrew scoffed, "You would have died because I would have made sure of it, if I wanted you dead. But no matter how angry I was... you're still my damned best friend. I know you, you're not the type to harbor ulterior motives. I can't lie that I didn't want to beat you until sun down but we'll save that for another time, when my grandchild is delivered."

Nicholas rose a brow, "You're on."

Andrew grinned, looking somewhat like his old self if not for the glint in his eyes. "I'll let you live on the condition that you keep my daughter happy. As much as I would like to object, I know better. For her to jump in front of a bullet for you, I'd be a fool to break her heart by putting you in the grave. And Hany is angry enough with me. I rather love my wife happy with me rather than so bleeding sour."

He walked further into the room, kissing Lafayette on the top of the head, "I understand you love the man but don't you ever jump in front of a damned bullet for anyone, ever again!"

She chuckled, tears in her eyes as he turned to leave the room, tossing behind him, "Excuse me while I go and apologize to my wife. Again. And Nicholas, when we finally have that sparring match, I can promise you. I'll break bones."

Nicholas tsked but couldn't stop the chuckle, "I don't doubt it, old friend."

The door slammed shut behind him, and the two of them embraced, falling onto the best as they held each other. "I love you, Lafayette Anderton. I'm sorry it took me so long to realize it."

Lafayette smiled, "I always knew you were a bit of a dunce. It never mattered to me. I loved you then and I love you now."

He kissed her then, softly, gentle, his hand firmly on top of her belly.