11: first tantrum

"Why won't she ever listen to me?!"

You yelped and stumbled to your feet, stumbling to your feet as the irate diamond prince stormed into the room, his fists clenched tightly. The two pearls stiffened and backed away towards the nearest wall as he stomped around his room, fuming. "Why won't ANY of them ever listen to me!?!"

"Wh-What," The words fell out of your mouth as you staggered back, nearly tripping over yourself as you got a good look at the livid halfling before you. In stark contrast to his contemptuous yet relatively composed demeanor just a few hours earlier, he looked as though he'd burst into flames with how furious he looked. His face was twisted into a scowl that would make Cerberus tremble in his chains and his teeth were gritted so hard that they might crack under the pressure. You couldn't help but shudder at the sight.

While you were already well aware of this infamous temper, you never imagined that you'd be dealing with it this early into your new role.

Nor did you expect his anger to make him glow.

Though strangely enough, instead of it being scarlet-and orange like fire like one would expect, he was instead a vibrant pink color.

"Oh Steven, it is crucial for you to have at least one successful colony!"

"Steven! you need to act mature! This is very unbecoming behavior for you!"

"Steven! Why can't you try to behave for once?"

A furious growl erupted from his mouth. "They always think they know sooooooo much more than me! Always treating me like I'm some stupid kid!" You felt the vibrations of his voice, and your blood ran cold.

He stomped over to a nearby table, his stomping steps creating cracks in the smooth stony ground. "Always making a fool of me... making me feel like I mean NOTHING!!"

CRASH!!

You yelped as he kicked at the table, sending the elegant furniture across the room, sending it crashing into the wall, smashing it to pieces upon impact.

"I HATE THEM! I HATE THEM ALL!"

You stared at him, eyes wide in shock and awe. That table was made of a shiny marble-esc stone; it must have weighed more than several tons! And yet you saw the glowing half-human kick it across the room as if it were a soccer ball.

"M-My Diamond! Please calm down!" The head pearl broke out of her frightened stupor, braving a step forward away from the wall towards him. "I-I understand your frustrations, b-but-"

"BUT WHAT!?" He turns to her, giving her a look that could scald iron. "You're not AGREEING with them, are you?!" He started to approach the pearl. "Do you also think I'm immature!?"

"N-No! No no no," The head pearl quickly backpetaled, hands raised in defense. "It's just... this... outburst isn't exactly a rational reaction-"

"Not rational!?" He repeated, his voice shill, making you and the two pearls flinch. "HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT?!!"

Your eyes widened as you watched him tower over the now cowering pearl, as the pink pearl had hunched over, arms over her head and eye tightly clenched shut. "Dealing with their bullsh*t all your damned life, especially my mother's, I'd expect you to understand,"

You were barely aware of the gasp that escaped your mouth when you saw his hand lift.

"But no! Just like most gems of this DAMNED planet, YOU DON'T--!"

"You mustn't!"

The time seemed to have slowed down around you as your wings flared open, and you saw yourself launch forward and latch a hand out; gripping the gloved wrist before he could land the strike.

"Wh-What!?" Steven snapped his head to you, startled at the speed you had demonstrated. He was even more put off by how thin your pupils had become, nearly invisible in the sea of (color) as you stared at him with a frantic expression. "Please spare pearl of your anger! Whatever happened between you and the Diamonds is not her fault!"

Steven blinked. He looked shocked at your boldness. "You-- what the hell do you think you're doing!?" His anger quickly replaced his shock and he gave you a glare so hot you could have burst into flames. "You have no room to speak! You have no understanding of my frustrations!" He then pulled at his wrist, making stumble. "LET GO OF ME!"

For a moment, you felt your resolve falter. You practically felt the heat radiating off of his skin and the look he gave you told you that getting through to him like this was likely a fruitless effort. But out of the corner of your eye, you saw the two pearls that were still present. The pink one in particular seemed most affected; as she was crouched to the ground in utter fear, with her hands clasped to where her ears would be and eyes clenched shut.

"I-I may not understand, but that doesn't mean you have to harm!" You quickly replied, tightening your grip on him. You needed to at least try to make him see some kind of reason. Or at the very least give the Pearls time to flee and find bigger gems to assist. "Please, there are better ways to alleviate your anger!"

Steven looked at you, incredulous.  "Alleviate my-- IF YOU DON'T RELEASE ME RIGHT NOW-!" His other arm swung around, possibly aiming to knock you away, but your instinct once again comes to your rescue; as your other hand had come up and caught the other hand. Unfortunately, this only drove him to become even more irate as he snarled, pushing and pulling at you to free himself of your otherwise iron grip. "LET GO!!"

"Please! You must control yourself!" You pleased desperately, as you both struggled for control, as you watched from the corner of your eye. To your relief, the head Pearl saw the opportunity and managed to gather the Pink Pearl and ran out of the bedroom's door. "I-I promise you, I can help you-- EEP!"

Unfortunately, this made you lose your focus and he soon gained the upper hand. With a single wretch, he lifted you off the ground and threw you into the bed. Despite the bed being plush and soft, you still let out a yelp at the force of impact, which had a (bird)-esc undertone.

Before you could try to get up, you felt a heavy weight smash into your abdomen, and two large hands grasp your wrists, effectively pinning you to the bed. "How dare you try to tell me what to do."

Before you knew it, you found yourself staring up into glaring diamond eyes. He was still pink, but his face was no longer livid; as it now held a more grumpier, disappointed expression. Somehow that was more unnerving than when he was angered. "Your first day here, and you've already stepped out of line..." He growls, glaring at you with those cerise diamond eyes.

"You oughta learn your place..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Currently redrawing cutscenes!]