25. The king's plans

3rd of december , 1535
Fontainebleau, France

Catherine sat alone embroidering her audience room. Three of her ladies-in-waiting; Laura, Francoise and Jaqcueline were busy in her bedroom.

"Your Highness, look who I found in the hallway." Camilla said as she walked into the room, in her hands she held a tray of rose petals for her mistress bath. Behind her followed Marie de Guise.

"Marie!" Catherine yelled as she got up from the couch. "You are already back at court?" asked Catherine in surprise Marie had not even given birth to her child two months ago and was already back.

"Of course, as soon as I heard the good news I packed my things." Marie said after she curtsied. "Please, take your seat again, Duchess. It is important that you continue to take it easy during your pregnancy."

Catherine took her seat again and motioned for Marie to take a seat too.  "You talk here about taking a rest during pregnancy as if you were doing it yourself."  Catherine laughed. "Tell me, how is your son?"

Marie smiled dreamily. "I am so happy Your Highness. The birth of Francis was difficult, but as soon as he arrived I forgot all the pain."

Catherine smiled. She placed her hand on her own stomach. Although it was still flat, it still felt like a comfort. "When the baby is born and is older I will invite little Francis to court. The children can then be playmates."

"I think that's a good idea." Agreed Marie.

They continued to talk about Marie's pregnancy and how the delivery had gone for her.

༺༻

"The Princess Madeleine!" called the herald from outside the room. The door opened and Madeleine entered the room.

Francis nodded to Anne to leave the room. His mistress was sitting on his lap, something he didn't want his daughter to see.

Anne curtsied quickly, then headed for the door.

Madeleine looked at the woman with a raised nose. She had seen how the woman had tied herself around her father, and she were disgusted.

"Princess." Anne greeted her as she walked past her out of the room.

Madeleine completely ignored the woman. She never liked Anne, especially when she saw how she disrespected the queen.

"Father." She sank into a curtsey. She smiled at her father. "Madeleine, child, take a seat." Francis said, gesturing to a chair across from him.

When his daughter had taken a seat, Francis cleared his throat. It had been easier to tell Henri he was getting married. He had told him while hunting and Henri quickly understood.

His daughter was different. She had always been the apple of his eye. They had always been very close.

He didn't know how to break the news to her that she was going to live all the way across the canal with her husband.

"I'm to be married, aren't I?" Madeleine blurted out.

She had seen from her father's tense expression that he had something to say.

She knew the day would come when her father would marry her to someone. And she was prepared for it.

Francis nodded. "You know how long I've tried to put it off, but I couldn't."

Madeleine nodded in understanding. "Who will be my husband? A prince, a duke?"

"King James of Scotland. The wedding will take place in Paris in the New Year. At the same time as the wedding, your brother Charles will be engaged to the English Princess Elizabeth, with her father, the King of England, and her mother, the Queen, in attendance. "

Madeline nodded. Although she was not happy to be married off, she was happy that it was a king. She would become Queen of Scotland and her son the next King of Scotland. She would give the Scottish line of French blood, Valois blood.

"So it will be a big celebration." she noted. "You are worthy of a great celebration, Madeleine."

"I believe that well. Charles is to be betrothed to Elizabeth, so you intend to ally with England. Is that really useful given your previous alliance with the Medici?"

Francis sighed. He too had thought of this. After all, now that Pope Clement was dead, there was no longer an alliance. Although the Duke of Florence was still alive, he had not allied with him and was free to do as he saw fit for France. "The holy father has passed away and a new one has taken its place. My political ties with Rome are over."

"Your political affiliation with Rome is pregnant with your grandchild at the moment. She will not stand by and see us allying with someone who turned his back on her rome." Madeleine said.

Catherine was docile but not without a mind of her own, something they had in common. She had her limits and Madeleine was sure that this would be one of her limits: she wouldn't want anything to do with England.

Madeleine continued. "By the way, even my lady stepmother will be against this choice. After all, King Henry divorced her aunt."

"They are both Valois now, loyal to our house and country. Catherine, like the rest of us, including your stepmother, will have to accept my choices." Francis looked at his daughter.

It saddened him to let her go, but he had no other choice. If she didn't get married now, when would she get married?