7.

why is hui so handsome 

CHAPTER - SEVEN

A bit after midnight, the bed dipped.

I'd always been a heavy sleeper but tonight I woke the minute I felt demon boy's presence. But I didn't want to show I had woken up. Tonight, I wasn't in the mood to banter with him. I just wanted to go back to sleep so I could go to school in the morning without bags under my eyes. However, falling asleep was a little more difficult than I thought. I pressed my lids together, trying to force myself to sleep but couldn't because I could hear the light snapping of his fingers. The shifting of the bed from time to time. The bored sighs escaping his mouth every now and then. I could hear everything.

I was about to snap when something fell to my side of the bed. It slid down my comforter and then onto the floor. I couldn't tell what it was. I shifted a bit, trying to make it look as natural as I possibly could so he didn't notice I was awake, I squinted and was finally able to see what it was.

His mask.

The black mask that demon boy wore every day. That meant that demon boy was right here, on the edge of my bed, without his mask. If I turned right now, I could see his face. I wanted to see his face. I was tempted to turn about and catch him off guard so I could finally see what he looked like. Then I wondered if it was the right thing to do because there must've been a reason he didn't want me to see his face. But the temptation overrode my conscious and so within a second, I turned around and sat up in bed. Light shone on to half his face but before I could go closer and view his entire face, demon boy pushed me back with a hand on my chest, grabbed the mask and slipped it, shielding his face effectively.

I grunted as I pushed myself onto my elbows, still feeling pain from demon's boy hand on my chest that he used to push me. Demon boy loomed over me, staring into my eyes. I pursed my lips, feeling disappointed that I'd stupidly thought that I could see his face.

"Got ya'." Demon boy says.

Hmph, so this was a trap. I should've known. He knew I was awake. He'd known that this little mask trick of his would make me react. He was playing with me like he was always playing with me. And I'd fallen into the trap and played along exactly as he'd expected.

"Get out," I say, in the coldest voice possible.

Demon boy recoils. It's almost as though my tone got to him - like it somehow affected him. I hope it did. I pull my comforter over my head and turn the other side, shutting my eyes. There wasn't a movement or any sound after that. I think I almost felt him leave and though I knew he was gone, I still sat up in bed, wanting to see him sulking in the corner or something. But he wasn't. I closed my eyes, not wanting to think about this any longer.

He was gone like I wanted him to be gone. That was definitely a good thing.

Wasn't it?

I RESISTED THE urge to roll my eyes.

There were hushed whispers and curious glances surrounding Jen and me.

'What's clank the skank doing with lipo girl?' One girl whispered to another. I shot them a glare, more bored than fierce. They still hurried away. Then I turned to Jen.

Jennifer S. Clank was my nemesis if I ever had enough bad blood with a person to consider them my nemesis. Jen was once the transfer student who'd cozied up to me enough to become my first friend. Jen who joined the cheerleading team and grew distant from me in the span of a week. Jen who huddled with her teammates and made fun of me by the lockers. And Jen with whom I finally broke ties by slapping her hard across the face and storming out the cafeteria when she dumped her chocolate milk at me claiming it was a joke. She didn't bother me after that.