Chapter 10: The Silver Lily

*Unedited

· · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⊲ ✦ ⊳ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · · ⚔︎ · · · ·

𝓝𝓮𝓷𝓷𝓮𝓴𝓮 sits with me beside Geralt's bed. She has aged since I last saw her, though her beauty has not faded. Her dark skin is smooth and bright, the only true sign of her many years are the worry lines on her forehead and the spidery smile lines around her eyes. I admire the red dress with a purple sash swooping over her left shoulder, held together by a golden flower bouquet brooch.

My attention soon turns to the Witcher. I reach out a hand to flow healing magic into the wound - despite knowing the priestess has already done all she can.

"You care for him," the motherly voice fills the silence.

"Of course, I do," I reply like it's obvious, "He is my travel companion."

"I have not seen you so weary since..." the woman pauses when my shoulders stiffen, "Since your mage."

My eyes refuse to meet her knowing ones, "That was a very long time ago."

"That is precisely my point, Sprite," Nenneke responds, "I am glad that Destiny brought you both together."

When I finally realize that my magic can do no more, I bandage the wound and shift to face her, "It worries me. Do you feel the wheels of the Destiny turning?"

"Not like you can," is her answer. "Perhaps, you are together for a reason."

My brow furrows and I frown, "All the more reason to view him as just a friend. The last time I allowed myself more, I felt Destiny at work too. Still, I was foolish. I let love into my heart... and we both know how that ended. I will not make the same mistake now, too much hangs in the balance."

Her thin fingers pull my hands into her own. Warm brown eyes meet my striking emerald ones, "I can tell that this conversation may be premature. However, it is never a mistake to love. When the moment comes, love freely, Sprite. The Continent will survive. You will as well. You always do."

My voice is barely a rasp, "I fear that this time will be different, Nenneke. When Destiny calls, I fear I will not endure."

Her grip tightens comfortingly, "All the more reason to live."

I scoff and roll my eyes, "I am living."

"No. You are merely surviving," the priestess argues with a firm shake of her head, "Live your life, Nessa. Enjoy what you have. Fight for more. Do what you would if your dark past were truly forgotten. Let your raven-haired mage in. Let your bard friend in. Let Geralt in. They will need you, the real you."

My heart longs to accept her advice, but I have held myself back for far too long. I don't remember what it is to want. I sigh, "He does not need me."

Nenneke slaps the back of my head gently, "He does. He cares for you as well, Sprite. Why is it so hard to accept that rather than fight what is forming between you?"

"Because I do care for him. Too much. It only grows by the day," A frustrated growl rumbles from my chest. "I have spent so long distancing myself from people and then within the same decade, three infuriatingly remarkable people barge into my heart. I only knew need and survival since... him and..."

I cut myself off from remembering the other loved ones I lost. Instead, I huff, "What the fuck do I do with want and desire?"

"Silly girl," Nenneke chuckles as though my words were not laced with agony, "You chase after it. Or are you no longer the confident, fearless wandering warrior I met all those years ago?"