Chapter Twenty Seven

Harper

Two weeks have passed since we came to the safe house. Gino hasn’t told me much other than Holly and Adriana had gone separate ways to make it harder for Matteo.

There haven’t been any sightings of any of them. It’s all quiet; Matteo doesn’t know who to trust that much I do know.

Gabriel had his jabs and was very unwell for the next forty-eight hours after. The nurse said that was very normal and not to worry, which it’s hard not to.

My blood pressure was a bit high, but she wasn’t concerned. She told me to keep it easy. I’m now eleven weeks and due for a scan next week, but I was hoping Matteo would have been here by then.

I don’t want to go through this pregnancy alone, but I know at this rate, I’m going to have to. Bianca and Sofia have been a big help; Bianca has finally come out of her shell, and I can’t wait for Enzo to see the woman she is turning out to be. She doesn’t think we notice, but every time Sofia speaks about him, her cheeks turn red, and she bites her lip.

I wonder if she will be the woman to settle him down. I hope so, as they both deserve to be happy, especially Enzo.

“Are you all packed for Gabriel’s surgery? Don’t forget his bear. He will have a fit if you forget that.” Shit. How the hell have I forgotten that?

“Sometimes, I’m sure I would lose my head if it weren’t for you. I’ll be back in a minute. Can you just double-check the bag for me, please? There’s a list in there that Doctor Burton gave me to bring; I’m going to grab his teddy now.”

She gives me a knowing smile before nodding. “Go on, dear; the last time I saw it, it was on the floor of his room.” I sigh in relief that she knows where it is because Gabriel is always leaving it somewhere.

After finding the bear, I make my way back downstairs. “Harper, Matteo is on call. He wants to speak to you.” It’s been five days since I last spoke to him.

He told me I couldn’t message him in case someone tracked it; it killed me not speaking to him.

“Hello, Angel. How are you and Gabriel? Are you holding up ok? I miss you both, I’m sorry I can’t be there with you today, Angel.” I can hear how tired he is in his voice. He sounds exhausted.

“I’m fine; we both are. We miss you too, but don’t worry about us. You sound tired. I take it you aren’t sleeping?”

He sighs as I hear a phone ring. “Two minutes Angel.” I don’t understand what he’s saying as he’s speaking fast in Italian. He sounds pissed.

“Angel, I have to go; there’s been a sighting of Adriana. I’ll call you later tonight if I’m back. If not, it will be the morning, Angel; give Gabriel a kiss from me. I love you both.” The phone goes dead. He loves us both?

I mean, I knew he loved me, but he had never told me before, and I never got the chance to tell him I loved him too. “Harper, dear, are you ready?”

Taking a deep breath, I pull myself together before heading back to Gabriel.

“Are Bianca and Sergio back yet?” They should have been back from her doctor’s appointment already.

“No, Bianca had to have some blood test run; they think she might have a kidney infection. Enzo is making Sergio stay with her.” Sofia swears under her breath, and my eyes widen. I’ve never heard her swear before.

“That son of mine is an idiot. Bianca is not at any harm whatsoever, and he’s trying to give orders. I will give him a piece of my mind when I see him. He better hope nothing happens.” She shakes her head before grabbing the changing bag.