Chapter 37

"May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears." Nelson Mandela

Ryder's P.O.V

Her skin is pale, her eyes closed, and no visible movement as I attempt to wake her. Tiana almost seems cold, with her skin a light blue but she's not shivering and is warm to the touch.

"Must save mate!" Raudolf howled in pain. Neither of us wants her to hurt anymore...I never wanted to hurt her, for the record.

Yeah, yeah I remember. Now is not the time to go over that, we have to worry about Tiana.

"Probably cause it's hard for you to acknowledge since it was so wrong and terrible how you treated her."

Yes, fine. If it will get you to focus, I will say it again and again. I was wrong, I was wrong, I was wrong. I feel incredibly guilty, and any negative emotion I feel is completely deserved for my horrible, awful treatment towards my mate, my love Tiana. There, I said it. Now, please -

Before I could finish this self-shaming conversation in my head, a strong, beautiful blue glow sent a punch of wind onto the air around me that shoved me backward and almost made me lose my balance. The sun had finally set, and the full moon was in clear view, lighting up our small hotel balcony like a flashlight of the night. It was almost a blinding light that irks me so and teases my most dangerous temptation. Full moon.

Once my gaze refocused on the commotion on this small, white half-balcony, everything became a little clearer as I realized Selene, the Moon Goddess, had come to pay us a visit. I instinctively bow out of respect, which we are taught to do as kids in case of an occurrence like this. I hear a light chuckle before she speaks with her angelic tone, "no need, my child." As I hear this, I bring myself back up and I'm able to get my first impression of her beauty. She is everything they said she would be. The most stunning, blue, star-sparkling. strapless dress met her ankle where her bare feet peeked out from underneath.

It took me a moment to process this moment before I snapped back to reality and the immediate need to care for whatever is happening to Tiana. As if she read my mind, and she probably did, she comments on my current concerns. "She's going to be just fine," the Moon Goddess says in her smooth, calming voice that can settle a soul in seconds. "You can call me Selene."

"I-I...I don't mean to question you Moon Go-Selene..um...how are you so sure she will be ok...ma'am," I nervously wonder. I hope I didn't offend her and that she won't smite me. I hear her giggle at my thoughts.

"I apologize for laughing. No need to be nervous or to call me ma'am. I may be old as time, but I chose to take on any form including one that makes me seem your age so I seem more relatable. Also, I don't smite people. That's not my style," she succeeds in her attempt to levity the tense situation. Before I have a chance to continue worrying about Tiana, I feel her muscles twitch as she slowly regained consciousness. As soon as she opened her eyes, I felt a life-giving sense of relief like I stopped breathing, forgetting how to survive until I had assured her safety. I guess my nerves were evident because I suddenly felt her weak hand caressing my cheek trying to comfort me as if she hadn't just almost died a minute before.

Selene helps me adjust Tiana to an upright position against the white-wood railing attached to the balcony. "You'll feel much better very soon my dear," Selene says, comforting Tiana in her weakened state. I rush to the overpriced hotel water bottle, ignoring the $7 charge, I open it up and help Tiana take a few nourishing sips. Soon after, Tiana asks Selene, "How do you know I'll be ok soon? Do you know what happened to me?"

Selene gives her a knowing smile before softly saying, "Don't speak for now so you can get your strength up. I have much to explain and many of your questions to answer," we stare at her in adoration, silent in respect for her power and knowledge of the world. "I'm just going to be real with you, I'm f**king tired. Do you guys know how long I've existed?" we shake our heads side to side in response. "A long a** time man. I've seen thousands of years of life and death. I have been a leader for all werewolves, guiding them through survival which is pretty hard to do when humans keep trying to kill us all. I am exhausted, it is exhausting being me, and guess what? I've never even had a day off. I love you guys but it's a lot," she sighs. "So I searched through every soul, alive and dead, to find one that fulfills the requirements to be a moon goddess or god, one that will provide the protection, breathtaking clarity, and who provides all their children with unconditional love as I have. You, my dear, are the chosen one."