Chapter 14

"Mads, stop fidgeting, it's fine."

"Why aren't you more nervous? Shouldn't you be wearing something with a little more coverage?" I tugged stupidly at the collar of his plaid button down, enjoying the sight of his chest, but wanting to button his shirt up all the same.

"Is my cleavage offending you?"

"I just mean we're already exposed enough. The tattoos are a dead giveaway."

"Thank you for your concern. But I'm fine the way I am. Believe it or not, I've gotten used to being me over the last twenty years."

"You know what I mean, Harry. I just don't want you to get swarmed."

He smiled at me, and touched my back for a moment, and I couldn't help but glance around us, staring at the people walking by, daring one of them to say something to him, or to me.

"I appreciate that, Mads. But I'm alright, if you're alright. If you're not, we could always go somewhere less public."

I wanted to be alright. Wanted it so badly I'd insisted we get out, enjoy the beautiful day surrounded by millions of other New Yorkers, despite the very real probability of Harry's fans seeing him, and me next to him. It was a good idea, in theory. We'd been cooped up with my mother and the rest of my family for the last twenty four hours, so I felt we should get out. Be on our own for a bit. Leave Emily and Bryan to their own devices back at the apartment.

Harry had been less sure, saying he'd be fine to stay in for the day, as long as he was with me. (I know... swoon). But I'd pushed him, to the point where he'd felt the need to warn me about what was to come.

"People might recognize me," he'd said, "and if they do, they're going to wonder who you are."

"I can handle it," I assured him.

"I have no doubt about it, Mads," he said with a grin, "But," he took my hands then, and stared right into my eyes, "I think we should keep them in the dark about you for now."

So many things ran through my mind in that moment, including, but not limited to: he doesn't like me. He's been pretending all this time. Why else wouldn't he want people to know who I am? I should end it now... before he has the chance to. Wow, this is going to suck. Say it, Madelyn, just say it...

"I just don't want you to be overwhelmed." Harry said then, cutting off my incessant, self-deprecating thoughts by bringing his hand up to my chin, "Because I won't lie to you, Mads, it gets more than overwhelming, in a lot of ways. I don't know if there will ever be a point when you'll be ready for it, but I have to try to prepare you, even though you won't understand. I care too much about you to let anything get in the way of us being together, but I also realize that this is a lot, and it might be too soon, and if you really want to do this, we will, but if it gets to be too much, let me know. And we can, um, figure something out. And if we can't figure something out, you can end it. I'll let you, even though it will be the last thing I want, and -"

"Harry?"

"What?"

"Isn't it my job to babble with no end in sight?" I would have cut him off sooner if he hadn't looked so cute.

I'd kissed him then, feeling more sure than I had five minutes before that we needed to do this, if only to get it over with.

"Look," I said, pulling away from his lips, "We don't owe anyone an explanation. For all they know I'm your long-lost sister or something."

Harry smirked, his eyes moving from my lips to mine again, "I don't kiss my sister like that."

I rolled my eyes, but smiled, "I would hope not. But what I mean is, I'm fine with keeping this," I motioned between us with a hand, "under the radar. I think we owe it to ourselves to get used to it first anyway, before we invite the world in."