Chapter 17

The ceiling has a strong and malign influence in the misty cold, or what I thought as it's my only view.

Cheap wooden beams run across the ceiling, but like a shelter to spiders weaving for their next meal. Then a fly got stuck, not seeing the transparent silk which can doom its fate, it's wings were quivering -with heavy strokes, it slash back and forth- the buzzing, long and painful. But it didn't stood a chance. No matter how hard it work, no matter how desperate it is, his wings is already tangled on the sticky net. It has no choice but to accept that spiders are its predator, designed to kill them.

A knock on the door awoke me from my thoughts.

Elise came in, her face wrapped in dismay. "Im sorry. I tried to explain but they just wont listen."

Her face contorted, she struggled not to cry. I should stop her. I should console her and try to whisper that her tears wont do any good. They already hated me, I don't want them to think that we are accomplices to whatever evil they think I'd do.

"You should stay away from me or they might kick you out too." I force a laugh to lighten the mood. But tears pooled in her eyes, and she just burst out crying.

"Are you still... the Kennedy.... that I know?" She said between sobs. It was the exact same words I asked earlier.

"Yes, are you?"

"Of course!"  She ran towards me, tightly wrapping her arms around my waist while kneeling beside the bed. "Ill get away from here too! If they're being mean with one of my friends, then they're bad people!"

I tried to pushed away her arms that was gripping me. "Don't you think its better here? There's shelter and running water." I choked out, I almost suffocated.

"No no" she shake her head. I can feel my shirt getting soaked from where she buried her head. "Let's bring Lucas and Kurt too. They could come in handy, like human shields."

I tap my palm on her back in a constant manner. I just chuckle as a response.

We didn't move for a while. Though I can feel how her grip loosen as time passes, and sobs turn into sniffs, still no one move.

I feel calm with the noise, or rather any noise at all as long as I'm with a friend. My surroundings is beginning to spin mix with this ceaseless drowsy purr. I could probably sleep like a log -something I haven't experience for a while.

This warmth... I hope it wouldn't disappear.

We were startled when loud stamping broke against the fragile floor. When muffled shouting came near the open bedroom door, we only just realized that Kurt had just returned.

"Are they usually like this?" I asked. I have never seen anyone argue before, everyone are usually too calm.

"No, I don't think so." She wiped her snot off. "But Kurt have become really cranky, something about medicine. Im not very sure, but the bags under his eyes are becoming visible."

Elise probably saw the worry in my eyes when she suggested, "I think you should go to him, and bring milk chocolate too. I see him with it since we came here."

"I don't know." I muttered. I really don't. I tried to ignore them before how his eyes would turn cold when his gaze would land on me. Then his furrowed brows, and the veins on his temple when he clenches his jaw for a quick second. I don't want to admit but sometimes he just scares me.

Light steps stopped just by the doorstep, Natalie and Lisa are looking at us with faces still beautiful, still unfazed. "Did you already talk to Kurt? He said he's leaving." When neither of us respond, she continued. "He's back from roving but Lucas is not with him. We tried talking to him but he just ignored us. I don't know how you get him to be your friend but that guy is unstable. Anyways, just ask him where the other guy is. I don't care if he was murdered or what, we just want to know if he was tailed on his way back here. Talk to him, kay".