21) The Knock Of Love

...

Love is nectar. Love is poison.

The whole mansion was buzzing with happiness. That's what a child's presence does to a house. It makes a house a home.

The innocence of a child's smile envelopes the deep silence of sorrow and fright in a big hug.

That's why they say that the soothing smile of a child is equivalent to all the purity and peace of Kaaba or Kashi. 

If you are unable to bow down your head in the court of almighty, just go and wipe the sorrowful tears of a child and replace it with an honest smile. You will meet the god there, right in that innocent smile. 

Chandni's eyes were full of tears, happy tears.Her chest was filled with hope and joy.

Hope for these kids who few days back were trapped in the web of darkness but now…now they were playing and giggling, making funny faces to each other, looking adorable wearing those birthday caps, some of them had their eyes set on the birthday cake while other were just laughing and playing lost in their own world. 

"Thank you," she whispered, her voice cracking a bit as her blurry eyes met with those two kids whom she had promised to help in that morning under the shed of the bus stop. 

"Thank you for what ?" Sabiq asked, not understanding why she had stopped on her steps and was looking at the house full of kids with something unrecognizable in her eyes.

"Thank you for saving them Sabiq. You not only have saved them from that darkness but you also have given them hope of a better future. I am glad that you are not what I thought you were. You do have goodness in you. I like that goodness, Chandni said, meeting his eyes. 

Sabiq looked away as soon as her eyes met his. "Err… yeah.. cheers I guess," he muttered, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. 

No one has ever complimented him for his good deeds. Actually no one has ever complimented him for anything so obviously he didn't know how to take a genuine heartfelt compliment. 

"Hn?" Chandni tilted her head confused by his reaction.

Why was he looking away ? Was he feeling embarrassed ? She wondered. 

His eyes met hers again and she gasped, finding a tint of red on the ends of his ears. 

Sabiq looked away again as her eyes twinkled with mirth. No woman has ever seen him with that look of mirth. 

He left both the girls on the middle of the stairs and walked ahead to go out of the house, leaving the joyful atmosphere which had come into his mansion for the first time. 

Her thin lips drew a smile, cheeky and sweet. 

Taking a few steps ahead she held his wrist, stopping him. 

"You stay."

She whispered, the smile sounding in her honey voice. 

He looked at her again, Mahnoor's little fingers were playing with her long tendrils which ever so elegantly were swaying on her cheeks.

The hair down on her forehead was giving her face a shape of heart, a thought. A bizarre and new thought of playing with those short and long tendrils visited his mind out of nowhere. 

The giggles of the kids, the sounds of their running footsteps, the whispers of some known and unknown, even the sweetest babbles of the little child in Chandni's arms. Everything turned silent. 

It was only him and those soft brown tendrils of her hair shaping her face, giving her a look of an innocent doll. 

Without even him realizing it his fingers rose unconsciously and touched those brown locks placing them on the back of her warm ears.