Chapter 5: The Phantom's Menace

Harry never picked his eyes up from the floor as he followed Wednesday into the fencing room. The sound of swords clinking together met his ears. Wednesday was dressed in a black fencing uniform, while Harry wore one from the school that was a few sizes to big. Harry noticed that the students on the fencing team appeared talented, instantly he felt out of place. Never in his life had he picked up a sword, he did not really know why he was there.

Fencing students parted as the pair walked through. Harry blushed as he felt eyes on his body. He truly did not understand how Wednesday could stay so composed. Harry almost ran into her when she came to a stop Infront of a dueling pair. Just than a body fell to the floor, Harry cringed thinking it most likely hurt.

The boy who had fallen pulled off the face covering if his uniform. He looked quite a bit liked a kicked puppy as he stared up at the coach.

"Coach, coach," the boy began still on the floor, "she tripped me." Harry assumed tripping others was not a good thing in fencing.

"It was a clean strike, Rowan," the coach told the boy with the name Rowan. At this moment the fighter took off her mask. Harry and Wednesday recognized her as Bianca who Enid had pointed out the day before.

"Maybe," Bianca began to tell the boy on the floor, "if you whined less and practiced more, you wouldn't suck. Seriously, coach, when am I gonna get real competition? Anyone else want to challenge me?"

"I do," Wednesday boldly stated. Harry looked up his bright eyes wide.

"Is that a good idea," Harry whispered feeling smaller than usual with all the eyes on them.

"Harry, be quiet," Wednesday instructed, to which Harry easily listened.

"Oh," Bianca spoke looking the pair up and down, "you must be the psychopath they let in. Is that you little pet?"

Harry blushed, Wednesday spoke back,"You must be the self-appointed Queen Bee."

Bianca nodded, then Wednesday continued,"Interesting thing about bees. Pull out their stingers, they drop dead." The fencers made a sound behind them recognizing the insult. Bianca furrowed her eyebrows giving Wednesday a look. Harry bit his soft lips to prevent a small giggle. Something about Wednesday being mean and assertive made him feel bubbly.

"Rowan doesn't need you to come to him defense," Bianca tried to argue. "He's not helpless, he's lazy."

"Are we doing this or not?" Wednesday asked coldly, and harshly. Harry watched nervously as the girls got into permission.

"En garde," the coach instructed. Wednesday and Bianca pulled down their face sheilds. Harry watched nervously as the girls began cladding their swords against one another.

Intensifying as they moved they fought. Onlookers moved trying to get the best view. Talent radiated from both, strong independent young women. Harry was worried. He knew very little about fencing. A part of him was afraid Bianca would cut off One of Wednesday's pretty braids.

Eventually Wednesday got the upper hand. She crouched down, and outstretched her sword.

"Point, Wednesday," the coach proclaimed as he carefully observed the fight. Again swords clashed, startling Harry a little bit. As the girls fought he noticed Xavier. A part of Harry wanted the boy to come up and talk to him. Although he also wanted to keep his attention on Wednesday, and he most definitely would not start a conversation himself.

"The score is even," the coach said breaking Harry from his thoughts. Off came the face protectors revealing a grooming Bianca.

"That first point was beginners luck," Bianca mocked with confidence. "Let's finish this."