Chapter 19:

Karma

"You're not coming inside?" I ask Brandon as we pull up outside of my mom and dad's house and I got out to get Bryna out, but he didn't move.

"Nah, I'm about to go to Roddy's crib."

"Well I wanna come too so I can see Zoe."

"I'll come back and get you then." I turned my face up shaking my head.

"No, that's unnecessary running around. Why you acting like you don't wanna come in?"

"I didn't say that."

"Well come in. We can drop Bryna off, talk to my mom, then leave." I said.

"Come on daddy." Bryna said gesturing for him to come.

"Fine." He said turning the car off and getting out.

We go inside and Bryna ran right to my dad who was sitting on the couch in the living room.

"Hey dad." I said hugging him. "Where's mom?"

"In the kitchen." He answered.

I walked into the kitchen with Brandon behind me leaving Bryna behind as she talked my dad's ear off.

"What's up Mama Jaz? What you was cooking?" Brandon asks hugging her as we both looked around for food.

"Look at yall greedy asses. Nothing we already ate breakfast yall should have came a lil earlier or called me first." Mom said.

"Really mom? You know we always randomly pop up so you always make extra food."

"Not during breakfast time tho. I still make extras for lunch and dinner because one of my greedy ass kids is bound to pop up."

"True." I agreed.

"Where's my babies?" She asks.

"Brei's at school. Bryna's in the living room with dad." I said following her as she headed that way.

"Bryn so you can't come say hi to Nan?" My mom asks getting Bryna's attention she ran over hugging mom.

"I missed you Nan. I sleep over soon." She said making my mom chuckling.

"Okay missy. You ain't gonna cry being away from mommy and daddy are you?" My mom asks her.

"Um," She says looking like she was thinking about it. "No, no."

"Okay, you better not." My mom says. "No more cry baby Bryna, okay?"

"Okay. You got apple pie Nan? Poppop told me I get some." Bryna said.

"Yup I got some." She said before they both disappeared into the kitchen.

As me, Brandon, and dad sat in silence with the tv on I just realized my dad and Brandon didn't even acknowledge each other when we first got here. When usually they'd be talking shit towards each other joking.

I looked between them. "What's wrong with yall?" I ask.

They both just shook their heads.

"Then why the hell yall so quiet?"

Again, they just shook their heads.

"Ooookay." I said sitting there confused.

"Mom these two aren't talking and won't tell me why." I snitched when she came back in the room.

"What? Why?" She asks looking between them both.

"Nothing Jazmine. Don't start." My dad says. "We're good."