-36-

michonne

michonne

"I CAN'T DO IT," SCARLETT MURMURED TO DARYL AS HE TURNED THE HALLWAY AND STARED AT HER. Scarlett was sitting across from a door where someone was inside banging. It was close to T-Dog's body, and Scarlett just had a feeling Carol's body was in there trying to kill her. She could hear slow movement as if something did not have enough energy. Walkers. It had to be a walker.

Daryl's whole body seemed to sag at the realization of what Scarlett was saying.

"I can't," she whimpered to him, standing. "I shoudn't ask you, but I-I can't."

Daryl shook his head, walking over to the door. He saw Carol's knife on the ground, so he picked it up. He began to pace, feeling Scarlett's eyes on him. Finally, he cracked his neck, and decided it needed to be over.

He glanced at Scarlett with a nod before he slammed open the door with as much strength as he could.

"Christ," Daryl grunted as he looked back at Scarlett. "She's alive." Daryl quickly rushed inside and picked up Carol, who was dehydrated and sickly looking. But despite everything, she smiled at them.

Scarlett rushed forward, pulling her water bottle from her pack and practically forcing it down Carol's throat. It reminded her of when she found Sophia. Daryl nodded at Scarlett to go back to the cell block. She moved out of the way so that Daryl could go first.

When they got back to the cell block, everyone was on edge. Sophia ran to her mother with tears leaving her eyes, hugging her tightly, and Hershel smiled at the reunion; however, everyone else was in the other cell block that was cleared with an unknown woman. Rick and Carl were staring at her, both had the same look of anger in their eyes. Scarlett felt Daryl push past her, and she decided to go inside as well.

"Says this Governor has Glenn and Maggie. Merle took them," Rick told Daryl and Scarlett. Oscar and Axel were standing behind them, making them seem more menacing, but Scarlett did not see this woman as much of a threat at the moment. She had a bullet wound Hershel stitched, and they had her weapons. Rick yelled something to her, and the woman did not respond. Scarlett rolled her eyes. Rick did not need to be such an ass.

She walked forward, shoving off Rick when he tried to grab her arm.

Crouching in front of the woman, she whispered, "What's ya name? I'm Scarlett Greene."

Her eyes widened. "Scarlett Greene. The Governor's second talks 'bout you a lot," she told her. "Says these people are holding you hostage. You're his daughter."

"Do I look like I'm being held hostage?" Scarlett joked softly before frowning. Declan was with the Governor. With Merle. Doing God knows what to Maggie. "Maggie's my sister, okay? And I know you're not feelin' well, but you gotta work with us. Trust has to build from somewhere."

The woman stayed silent as she looked down, her dreadlocks falling in front of her face.

It was quiet as no one said a word, but the woman finally looked up at her. "Michonne."