Chapter 45

Nicholas Carson. The man who had killed thousands in a bid for power amongst the shifter world. The man who had slaughtered hundreds of humans in a race for wealth and dominance. The man who had forced incestual and depraved breedings in order to build an army of superior warriors. The man who was rumoured to have killed his chosen mate right after she had given birth. The man who had abused his own children to rid them of their weakness and turn them into heartless killers. The man who lived and breathed by his pack's code – for power and glory.

If there ever was someone whose reputation had thoroughly preceded him, it was this man.

But he, was no man at all.

A true monster in every sense, this shifter and former Alpha of the Portland Pack was not a being you trifled with. Unless, you had a death wish.

And I certainly did not. Despite how hopeless and deadened I had been feeling, death by his hands was not something I would ever wish to experience. The cold blue eyes that stared back, made me believe that he wasn't the merciful kind but the sort of sadistic, twisted creature that would take pleasure in slowly draining the life from your body.

A tingling tremor raced through my veins at the gruesome image that my mind conjured. Skin ripped from flesh while this monster bathed in a pool of my blood. A scenario, that was more than plausible considering who I was dealing with.

I lowered my gaze to the floor reflexively as I struggled to hold back a shudder. Being summoned to his presence on the day of the party was the last thing I had been expecting, my mind preoccupied with my failed attempt at freedom and the dreaded announcement that was to be made tonight.

But assuming this had something to do with the former, I had rehearsed every line and situation in my head but in the pin-drop silence that had ensued between the six of us in the room ever since my arrival, I did not dare breathe. My throat was like sandpaper, my mouth parched beyond comfort as I tried to swallow the lump that threatened to burst.

The five of them cut a sharp figure as they stood together in their tailored suits and their expensive shoes. Alex and Marcus stood to the left of their Father while Kole and James stood to the right. My heart had plunged when I did not find Thomas at first, the only person whose presence would have been a source of strength and comfort but here I stood, alone once again, facing five monsters who wouldn't bat an eyelid if I simply dropped dead.

"Fated, you say?"

His voice was smooth but with a deep baritone. There was an undercurrent of darkness within that voice that seemed to match the rest of his personality.

"Yes, Alpha."

If I hadn't been familiar with James's voice, I would not have been able to point out the person that spoke. All the brothers stood stock still, looking straight ahead, devoid of any expression as if they were presenting at an army roll call. His own flesh and blood had to refer to him by his title? If I had had any doubts in my mind, that this man had completely broken his sons from within and turned them into his very own puppets, it was all too clear now.

"I see."

His movements were fluid, the gleam of his wrist watch catching the light as he reached out behind him for a cigar. Kole matched his moves just as swiftly, pulling out a lighter and holding it out patiently for his Father.

A cloud of smoke swirled in the air as he lit the cigar and exhaled, his steel blue eyes watching me with a certain inquisitiveness that chilled me to the very core.

"And the blood tests?"

"Nothing"

This time it was Alex who responded, his gaze locking with mine for an instant before he looked away.