Chapter 65

{Hey all,

HAPPYYYYYY NEW YEARRRRRR!!! May this year be amazingggggg for all of us!

So, I have seen that some of the readers are not Indian or Hindu or aware of hindu traditions of marriage. I request you to please google the italicized words for better understanding since explaining each term in the middle of the sentence will cause trouble in reading. Moreover, you may ask me about the traditions here so that I or any of the Hindu readers can answer them in detail.

}

.

.

.

Sneha stood at the base of the huge raised platform where Viraj was waiting for her for the varmala ceremony. Priya left her hand as Viraj stepped down and gave her his hand, as the custom was. She laid her hand in his without any resistance or expression and allowed him to help her in climbing up. She didn't even look at him.

In a blur, the varmala ceremony was concluded with the photographers doing their work efficiently. Everyone threw flower petals gently on the bride and groom as they placed the rose garlands on each other's necks.

Then a few photographs were clicked with the family members and friends followed by the grand feast for the guests. Sneha, as expected, didn't smile in any photo. No one asked her twice because they knew that a girl often feels sad at her wedding for leaving her father's house behind.

Since the bride and her parents were on fast, they patiently accepted the numerous blessings and gifts that the guests brought for them. Ananya came to call her brother for dinner but Viraj denied seeing how Sneha had to be on fast till the conclusion of the marriage rituals.

"It is time for the marriage rituals to begin. The bride and groom should come to the mandap, now." The priest from Viraj's side announced to which Dev and his immediate family members nodded.

The mandap was set up in the open field, under the starry night. It was beautifully decorated with the magnificent holy fire at the centre and two cushioned seats for the bride and the groom. The priest took his seat followed by Sneha and Viraj.

Sneha couldn't pay attention to the mantras uttered by the priests as the wedding procession began. Her whole attention was on the holy fire. She had huge respect for it and knew that all the promises accepted in front of the sacred fire must be respected till death.

So, can she make this one exception? She wondered. After all the Gods knew that this marriage was forced! Would she still be bound to the oaths that she will be forced to take now?

Soon, the most emotional part of the ceremony began.

The kanyadaan. (It is a ceremony where the bride's father gives his daughter to the groom)

The priest called Sneha's parents to come and do the kanyadaan ritual.

Shankar didn't immediately walk towards the mandap. Instead, Dev, who was standing beside him, had to keep his hand on his shoulder to remind him. To others, it felt as if Dev was encouraging Shankar to give them the gift of his daughter. But, only Shankar knew what that touch meant.

Shankar and his wife climbed the mandap and followed the priest's instructions. Sneha's heart felt heavy as this ritual came to an end. According to the traditional customs, she now became a member of the Khatri family as her father gave her to them.

At the request of the priest, Shankar and his wife left the mandap, as the custom demanded.

After some more mantras, the priest asked Viraj's mother and sister to offer the family jewels to the daughter-in-law of the family.